I met an Undecided today
So I went to the supermarket to get some turkey franks and other stuff( pb and Matzo) and the checkout girl noticed that A) I was getting Ball Park Franks B) that I was wearing a hoodie( it's raining) that says New York. She figured I was getting into the swing of things because my Turkey Dogs were made by Ball Park Franks inc. I shrugged, saying I thought it was good for the Red Sox, I quoted misinformation I had heard on TV by a announcer. The annoucer said that there had been 4 states to join the union since the last red sox win in 1918 and ONE of those states- Arizona had even gotten a world series win of their own. So I felt it was about being BIG to be happy for the BoSox... and I mentioned that it SEEMED to be a PRO Kerry sign.
She then mentioned that she was undecided.
I was floored. Here was this wage slave working at Shaw's on a rainy Saturday and she was UNDECIDED.
I thought of a bizzion things to say to her. I mean I KNOW that Kerry will win Ma. But still I wanted her vote.
So I just looked at her and told her- You know most incumbent presidents run on their RECORDS, you might not have liked Bill Clinton but when he ran for re-election, he said "I did this and this" or " I TRIED to do this', W. isn't mentioning anything HE'S done, because... well he hasn't done anything. She nodded. I picked up my grocery bags and said "When you vote, try to think of what W. has done before you vote."
I know it doesn't matter in Ma. but I'd like to think that I helped Kerry get a vote from this undecided.
I personally can't believe that ANYONE can not have a canidate yet- but I realize the way to get people to vote FOR your guy is not to call them an idiot. So I framed MY debate into a simple question "What has W. done for you in the past 4 years?" If I had more time and knew her issues, I would've couched what I said into " You know W. is against pro choice?" or " You know Kenneth Lay was his buddy, you didn't have Enron stocks, did you?" but I had one chance and I went with the fact that as an incumbent- technically the race is Bush's to lose. Because IF he was doing a good job, people would know that and he would poll with better numbers, but even his non billionare base know W. hasn't done a great job.
Talk to people, get out the vote and if someone's waffling- remind them that W. has done very little for THEM. Remind them about the fact that the next President will most likely stock the supreme court with at least 2 Justices... and do they like the way the system( executive, legislative and judicial) are already leaning right- what's gonna happen when the whole system is Right Wing Control. Most women I talk to are Pro Life, in the fact that they would NOT have an abortion- but are PRO CHOICE, in the fact that they think women should HAVE that choice. Remind people that if W. gets to appoint TWO justices, that right will be gone.
What I'm trying to say- is talk to your friends this weekend, remind them to vote and IF they're on the fence... try nicely to point out why W. is getting a failing grade from you and should get a failing grade from them.
(note: I just checked and Arizona was made in 1912. The Sox won the series in '12 as well as 1915,1916,and 1918)
She then mentioned that she was undecided.
I was floored. Here was this wage slave working at Shaw's on a rainy Saturday and she was UNDECIDED.
I thought of a bizzion things to say to her. I mean I KNOW that Kerry will win Ma. But still I wanted her vote.
So I just looked at her and told her- You know most incumbent presidents run on their RECORDS, you might not have liked Bill Clinton but when he ran for re-election, he said "I did this and this" or " I TRIED to do this', W. isn't mentioning anything HE'S done, because... well he hasn't done anything. She nodded. I picked up my grocery bags and said "When you vote, try to think of what W. has done before you vote."
I know it doesn't matter in Ma. but I'd like to think that I helped Kerry get a vote from this undecided.
I personally can't believe that ANYONE can not have a canidate yet- but I realize the way to get people to vote FOR your guy is not to call them an idiot. So I framed MY debate into a simple question "What has W. done for you in the past 4 years?" If I had more time and knew her issues, I would've couched what I said into " You know W. is against pro choice?" or " You know Kenneth Lay was his buddy, you didn't have Enron stocks, did you?" but I had one chance and I went with the fact that as an incumbent- technically the race is Bush's to lose. Because IF he was doing a good job, people would know that and he would poll with better numbers, but even his non billionare base know W. hasn't done a great job.
Talk to people, get out the vote and if someone's waffling- remind them that W. has done very little for THEM. Remind them about the fact that the next President will most likely stock the supreme court with at least 2 Justices... and do they like the way the system( executive, legislative and judicial) are already leaning right- what's gonna happen when the whole system is Right Wing Control. Most women I talk to are Pro Life, in the fact that they would NOT have an abortion- but are PRO CHOICE, in the fact that they think women should HAVE that choice. Remind people that if W. gets to appoint TWO justices, that right will be gone.
What I'm trying to say- is talk to your friends this weekend, remind them to vote and IF they're on the fence... try nicely to point out why W. is getting a failing grade from you and should get a failing grade from them.
(note: I just checked and Arizona was made in 1912. The Sox won the series in '12 as well as 1915,1916,and 1918)


2 Comments:
At 10/30/2004 11:16:00 PM,
RW said…
I wish I cared enough about you to rebute all the ridiculous points you made above. But, W has done nothing? Guess you don't watch the new or read the paper, ANY news and ANY paper. Afganistan, Iraq... guess you can't see the good that is happening there eh... strange how those rose-colored glasses deflect all the good stuff.
When Bush defeats Kerry by a healthy margin, reexamine your twisted views of the world.
P.S. America is a country, and government, full of good a decent people who are trying to make this a better WORLD, not just make better ketsup.
At 10/31/2004 11:06:00 AM,
Drew said…
Ok- Iraq?
They don't want US there. They've said that ALOT. How many thousands of american troops have to die before Bush and you get the idea that if the Iraqis got a say in things- we'd be out of there tommorow?
And is Iraq better for U.S. control? I don't think so... If you can offer any proof, besides the "Saddam was a Madman" I'd LOVE to hear it.
Ask Huda Alazawi, if she feels safer after the U.S. took over- http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,1308346,00.html
Also you might want to ask the thousands of Iraqis who've lost a husband, father, brother or son if THEY feel safer. Over 14,000 Iraqis have died since we started OUR war. That doesn't sound to me to be a safer Iraq
http://www.iraqbodycount.net/
And you know, call me crazy- which I know you will, but I think that as the AMERICAN president Bush should care more about making America better then Iraq.
Heck one of W.'s campain promises in 2000- was that he wasn't going to be a 'nation builder' so either he's WAFFLING or he's not a nation builder because he's not helping to re-build Iraq.
Lastly when you say America as a country and government is full of good decent people... I agree fully. It's just I think that Kerry, Kennedy( who voted AGAINST the war in Iraq), Al Franken and others YOU might dislike are the good, decent people and I think W., Rove, Cheney and others currently in Power are NOT.
A good a decent person would not allow Camp X-ray to exist.
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnews/content_objectid=14042696_method=full_siteid=50143_headline=-MY-HELL-IN-CAMP-X-RAY-name_page.html
Post a Comment
<< Home