Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hating the holidays.

So last thanksgiving my mom said to me that she was SOO proud of me that IF I had a job that she would've gotten me an Xbox 360. I then explained to her that... well even if she WANTED to get me the x-box 360( last year) it would have been nigh impossible.

So I remind her of my desire for the xbox 360 this week and send her a link to my amazon wish list... where I made sure that the xbox 360 is at the top.

She calls me on the phone and asks how much is it? Because she doesn't have that much money( ps. she has a house, an apartment in nyc and three cars at last count)....

I called her up tonight a little buzzed, but willing to let her off the hook- when she starts ripping me a new one. She mentions that she emailed me, I told her I hadn't gotten her email even though I had checked my mail ealier... She then starts complaining about how many videos I have on my list... and how LONG my list is. I cut the conversation short as I felt I didn't want to get into this, as I felt she was complaining that I should have like more books( and I do have books on my list... just mostly vids).... and then I read her email.

I will share the cost of that player with your and /or anyone else who is
giving you a gift. I find that $400 is a little steep fo me at this
time.... taxes, maintenance increase etc..... and I cannot go through 9
pages of a wish list. Isn't that a bit greedy? Where do you have room to
put all this stuff....
Love and let me know what you want me to do.
Please make no mistake I am very proud of all that you have accomplished,
but all these tapes and videos ??? I don't get it.
Love you, really I do.
xxMom


WTF?

I think my mom thinks that I actually expect someone to BUY ME EVERYTHING. Doesn't she understand that a wish list, is just that WISHFUL? That I don't expect to get EVERTHING ON THE F'ING LIST?

I mean really. I understand her not wanting to buy me the x-box 360... but to attack me for a 9 page wishlist... wtf?

5 Comments:

  • At 11/30/2006 09:34:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Alright, Drew, when you're signed in (you know, like you're going to post), you click on the "Settings" tab, then you click on the "Comments" tab, once the page loads, scroll down to where it says... Comments Timestamp Format ...and you can change the way your comments are marked as far as date/time. On the same page, scroll down to where it says... Comment Notification Address ...and you can put in your e-mail address so it'll notify you if Evan or myself leave a comment (*wink*). Hope this helps.

    And your mom was way unfair here, Drew! I'm sorry!

     
  • At 12/03/2006 07:22:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    Thank you very much for the help...

    'precaite it. 'specially as I didn't know I could have blogger email me. not sure if I needed both changes- but went for it.
    ;-)

     
  • At 12/04/2006 02:13:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I guess this makes my larger wish list positively decadent

    sorry your mom's being a pain in the hiney

     
  • At 12/04/2006 07:57:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    yeah both you and adam have a 12 page list. But I figured if I mentioned that to her- she'd just mention that I'm haning out with the wrong type of people---

    I also loved it when I wrote her a letter DEFENDING my list- and I realized first that I started the list arround 2001- which btw means so much for me getting everything on my list for the holiday season...
    and more importantly- when she mentioned on the phone she wanted DIAMONDS...to which I thought, but didn't say, sure put THAT on YOUR wish list and just like you're not getting me the x-box 360, I won't get you diamonds, even though they're on your list...
    but i went through the first page of my list, as she mentioned she went through the first two pages. Of the 25 items on the first page... 15 are under $25, only 5 (including the xbox 360) are over $50... and the xbox 360 is the only one over $100. For the most part I have price points that MY FRIENDS can afford....

    I really think she was a bitch about this and it just is quite annoying to me. In the same letter I cut my list to FIVE things that I wanted from her- making sure that I only had 1 thing over $50, and one dvd box set( jlu season 1)- the rest are books... including the book that is the last item on the last page of my list. At this point I was close to telling her not to get me anything because I understand how many bills she has( yeah right)... but I figured the low ball list would be ok.

     
  • At 12/04/2006 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    My wish list is only like 2 pages, I'm thinking I need to catch up.

    Parents can be so funny sometimes but, to my moms credit, she's never bitched about anything I've asked for price-wise or frivolity level nor has she berated me about the amount of things I've asked for, she just goes about getting what she thinks I'd like best and that's that.

    Though, there was this one year that my sister asked for a Blazer (not the jacket type, but the automotive type) and I do recall some serious bitching on my moms part over that one and rightfully so as I thought that was a bit much (to put it mildly), but then again, that's my sister.

    But, I hope it all works out and you get your Xbox 360 without any further complications.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home