Support Our Troops- Bring them home!
Ok, I have a friend who recently re-upped in the Army. He's been having a hard time getting a job( thanks to the crappy economy) and is going thru a grueling divorce. I don't want him to go to Iraq, but failing that I wish him well. By wishing him well, I hope that when he comes back from Iraq he has all his original parts and doesn't harm/kill any innocent Iraqis.
You see I want to support the troops, but I don't approve of what they're doing or what their orders might or might not be. If there's anything we've learnt from the Abu Ghraib scandal, is that we citizens don't know what Rumsfeld and the army are telling prison guards in Iraq or Guantanamo Bay to do or not do.
When I told a friend that I was for troop safety but against them doing what W. might consider their job, he reminded me the history of my people. You see in the 1930's after stealing an election, the commander of Germany started raising an army. I'm sure that the people of Germany were pro- army, as it appealed to their national pride. And when their commander had the army invade other countries, I'm sure that the German people wished them well and wished the soldiers an easy victory. However, would the average German have approved of the camps? I would like to say no. That they, like us, have been lied to by their leaders. Heck I've been told that the American people didn't really know about the concentration camps til the mid 40's when the allied troops were cleaning things up.
I don't know what the troops are being ordered to do, or what they are 'allowed' to do by their superiors... So my support for them is limited to wishing them well, just as I wish all the innocent Iraqis well... and that they survive the American occupation of their country.
You see I want to support the troops, but I don't approve of what they're doing or what their orders might or might not be. If there's anything we've learnt from the Abu Ghraib scandal, is that we citizens don't know what Rumsfeld and the army are telling prison guards in Iraq or Guantanamo Bay to do or not do.
When I told a friend that I was for troop safety but against them doing what W. might consider their job, he reminded me the history of my people. You see in the 1930's after stealing an election, the commander of Germany started raising an army. I'm sure that the people of Germany were pro- army, as it appealed to their national pride. And when their commander had the army invade other countries, I'm sure that the German people wished them well and wished the soldiers an easy victory. However, would the average German have approved of the camps? I would like to say no. That they, like us, have been lied to by their leaders. Heck I've been told that the American people didn't really know about the concentration camps til the mid 40's when the allied troops were cleaning things up.
I don't know what the troops are being ordered to do, or what they are 'allowed' to do by their superiors... So my support for them is limited to wishing them well, just as I wish all the innocent Iraqis well... and that they survive the American occupation of their country.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home