War Movies are UNAMERICAN!
I just was speechless when I read about this. Granted it happened last Thursday but I didn't read about it till today in USAtoday...
66 stations refused to show Private Ryan for fear that they'd get in trouble with the FCC for the level of profanity.
FUCK!
And the article went on to mention that Randy Sharp of the American Family Association has INSTRUCTED his followers to file complaints about PRIVATE RYAN- and how indecent Private Ryan is.
Private Ryan... WTF?!?!? What's the deal there? Does cussing make you LESS American?>
Then a friend of mine reminded me about the PROBLEMS with Schindler's List. See as a Jew I didn't know that it was un-Christian. What with watching the deaths of hordes of JEWS, I forgot that there were nekkid people- thank goodness a Christian reviewer has set me straight. The reviewer mentions there is FAR too much nudity, and gives it a moral rating of "VERY OFFENSIVE'.
Now I will admit that neither Private Ryan and Schindler's List are KID movies. I wouldn't suggest that Evan's kids are old enough to see them, BUT I do think that both are good and sorta IMPORTANT movies. There are many other movies I own and like to see that I would not consider to be kiddie fare( like the Godfather, Bound, and Army of Darkness), so I'm not going to show them to kids.
I can understand if someone doesn't want to see a movie, they can TURN THE CHANNEL, and if they don't want their child to see something they can TURN THE CHANNEL.
I really don't like that we live in an America, where if you don't like a show- you boycott it's sponser.
Maybe WE can start a boycott of Bill O'Riely's sponsers. I mean if they get rid of Desperate Housewives, Billy's gotta go as well.
66 stations refused to show Private Ryan for fear that they'd get in trouble with the FCC for the level of profanity.
FUCK!
And the article went on to mention that Randy Sharp of the American Family Association has INSTRUCTED his followers to file complaints about PRIVATE RYAN- and how indecent Private Ryan is.
Private Ryan... WTF?!?!? What's the deal there? Does cussing make you LESS American?>
Then a friend of mine reminded me about the PROBLEMS with Schindler's List. See as a Jew I didn't know that it was un-Christian. What with watching the deaths of hordes of JEWS, I forgot that there were nekkid people- thank goodness a Christian reviewer has set me straight. The reviewer mentions there is FAR too much nudity, and gives it a moral rating of "VERY OFFENSIVE'.
Now I will admit that neither Private Ryan and Schindler's List are KID movies. I wouldn't suggest that Evan's kids are old enough to see them, BUT I do think that both are good and sorta IMPORTANT movies. There are many other movies I own and like to see that I would not consider to be kiddie fare( like the Godfather, Bound, and Army of Darkness), so I'm not going to show them to kids.
I can understand if someone doesn't want to see a movie, they can TURN THE CHANNEL, and if they don't want their child to see something they can TURN THE CHANNEL.
I really don't like that we live in an America, where if you don't like a show- you boycott it's sponser.
Maybe WE can start a boycott of Bill O'Riely's sponsers. I mean if they get rid of Desperate Housewives, Billy's gotta go as well.


2 Comments:
At 11/15/2004 10:29:00 PM,
Unknown said…
Two of the five movies you mention have been seen by Lash. While content of film goes so far, a lot of what's hurtful or potentially hurtful to kids is the way things are presented. The Evil Dead movies are silly movies with monsters and lots of messiness and fighting and a silly schmuck of a hero.
Personally, I don't find anything offensive about SPR. There's as much, and even more and worse, profanity on the streets my kids are exposed to, and while the opening sequence is partticularly bloddy; given the context and an explanation of "movies aren't real" and "killing other people is bad" leaves us with "ooh! cool explosions!"
At 11/16/2004 09:34:00 AM,
Drew said…
See I was just *trying* to pick 5 movies I owned that parents might object to. I know I have R rated movies but I think most of my movies could be watched by kids- and if they can't, it's more because the kids would find the stuff BOR-ING then because of psychological scaring of the kids.Like would they won't realize how funny the Producers or want to see the b&w Double Indeminty which has FAR more talking then action but I could be wrong... again. ;-)
If you want to show Lash Payback, YOU should be allowed to, as you know what Lash is interested in and what he can 'handle' more then this wingnuts. I was just saying- I wouldn't show your kids any of those 5 movies without checking with you. Just like I didn't lend a cousin of mine Camalot 3000- because I told his parents it had a lesbic(sp?) sub-plot, and wasn't sure they'd approve of him reading it( even though I knew my parents would approve of me reading it) They said no, and I respected them. The parents should be their kids 'v-chips', NOT make the networks make the world safe 'for the kids'
And forgot by default, you'd be more permissive with YOUR kids, then them christans. Which is funny... as part of THEIR arguement is trying to save YOUR kids. ;-)
Actually that's their BIG arguement, if you allow people to do what they want- they'll listen to Howard Stern and see Bound and go to Vegas... in short, have fun. No Church can compete with *fun* so they'd like to stop it.
Post a Comment
<< Home