Messages in Bottles

Saturday, August 06, 2005

Movie Tix

So on Thursday, I checked the Phoenix for MORE free tickets and lo and behold they had tickets for the Aristocrats for NEXT Thursday. I booked it over to the Comedy Connection in Fanial Hall to get the tickets, as Aristocrats is THE movie I want to see.

However for this Thursday, I had a free ticket to Broken Flowers with Bill Murray. Now I would say it gets 2 out of 5 stars. My biggest problem with the movie was what I felt was a HUGE plot hole. The premise is that Bill Murray’s character Don Johnston (and many jokes are made about his character being Don as in Don Juan and similar to Don Johnson) has found out that he MIGHT have a 19 year old son. So his neighbor forces him to make a list of the possible mothers, which the neighbor then uses to track all the women down, figuring out where they are currently living and their names- if married. The neighbor goes so far as to print out map quests from the airports to the women’s houses and tentatively made plane reservations for this trip. Now after this scene, I couldn’t help thinking every so often, IF he could find all this information on the computer why couldn’t he find out if any of these women had kids ?!?!?
Likewise I thought, what would happen if the FIRST woman was the one who had produced the kid? Then what? Of course that wasn’t the case- but the first woman Don visits is my favorite- as it’s Sharon Stone, who plays poor white trash. Oh and in another hit you over the head image, Sharon’s daughter is named Lolita and she constantly flirts with Bill’s character. Actually it’s because of Sharon and her daughter that this movie gets any stars. There are a couple of good jokes in the movie but a lot of the imagery was hitting you over the head.
I snuck into Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I missed the beginning but it was still an amusing movie. Jolie has some very sexy scenes, and almost want say she’s sexier in this then in Sky Captain. It was an action comedy and I felt it worked on both levels. It was especially amusing when Jolie realizes her cover is blown and that Brad knows what she is.
I then snuck into Wedding Crashers, which I shouldn’t have done as it started at 10:55 and I ended up having to walk home- very tired. I really felt in hindsight that I should’ve tried to sneak into Wedding Crashers next week when I see Aristocrats. I mean I *had* to sneak into Mr. and Mrs. Smith as I feared it won’t be around much longer… but Wedding Crashers will. I was amazed that Wedding Crashers was pretty packed for such a late showing. Yeah maybe ½ the audience snuck in but still that would leave like 20 people going to a 10:55 showing of Wedding Crashers on a Thursday. But I could understand as Wedding Crasher was a nice light hearted affair. Granted there wasn’t that much in the way of plot surprises, but you don’t go to Wedding Crashers for plot you go to see Vince Vaugh and Owen Wilson be funny- which they were. And of course, Will Ferrell makes a guest appearance.
Both Mr. and Mrs. Smith and Wedding Crashers get a 4 out of 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home