Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Signing Stuff...

A semi regular at the gamestore today put two petitions in front of me to get my signature. Less then a year ago, he would've gotten me to sign anything as I was FOR putting things on ballots.

That changed about a year ago when my governor suggested the problem he had with gay marriage was the 'activist' judges. He said that people should VOTE for gay marriage.
I've already blogged about what a stupid idea that is. How the '60's Civil Rights wouldn't have been successful if the Southern States got to vote on things....
So I'll move on.

As you also most likely know, Mitt wasn't able to stop the State Supreme Court from making gay marriage legal here in Ma. However, this doesn't seem to be the end of the debate. The republicans, and Mitt, seemed hell bent on overturning the Supreme Court. Their latest effort is to try and get it on the ballot for a future election. To get something on the ballot, they need signatures... and to get signatures they've been lying to the public.
Yup, it seems they can't get enough people to put the anti gay marriage on the ballot, so they've taken to lying to people about what petition they're putting in front of people...

And yeah I did sign something about allowing supermarkets to sell booze, before I heard about the bait and switch. And I wonder what I signed...

So today when the regular asked me to sign two petitions, I looked at them to make sure I agreed with them.

And I didn't sign one. The one I didn't sign had to do with re-districting Ma. Since I know that the govenator recently tried to change re-districting in Ca. to make it more to his liking- I felt that since I didn't understand the scheme suggested in the petition, that I wasn't going to sign.
My friend( who doesn't live in Boston) suggested that I sign it, as well shouldn't anything be up for a vote. I pointed out that there was another ballot question that went horroribly wrong here in Ma.
Basically we[ as in we, the people] had voted that IF a politican didn't pimp themselves out, the state would give them matching funds of a certian amount. The politicans didn't like that... and so the next year they used language to trick people into voting AGAINST the clean election fund that they had voted for.

So, as I get older I get more paranoid about the system of government we have-
Or is that, as republican wingnuts try to jimmy the system in their favor; I mistrust the current system of voting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home