Messages in Bottles

Friday, October 28, 2005

I H8 Alienware

Ok... I've come to learn that my computer hates me... That seems to be the way of things... as my computer decided not to work for me AGAIN and I got little sympathy from a friend of mine.

It froze up on Tuesday night EXACTLY like it did a few months ago. I can't get it to properly boot up and do anything.

I'm a tad mad at myself for not learning from last time and backing up every week or two important stuff like word files that are ongoing OR my bookmarks.
Craps,.

But mostly I'm mad at Alienware. You see I called them and explained that this was the SECOND time this has happened to me and BEGGED them to let me send it to them so that they could go over it. I explained how they have a file of me calling them months ago with the same *exact* problem and that I didn't want to restore my computer to the 'factory sent' specs every few months.
I will admit there was also a bit of cursing on my part, something I generally don't do, but I was VERY angry- partly at myself for not backing things up and mostly at them for NOT being helpful.

I talked to supervisor, who had the guts to tell me it was a SOFTWARE problem. He explained to me that if I'm able to get it to boot up... then it's not the hardware. He also 'explained' that since I had Norton's Utilities... Notron's invalidates my Windows license agreement- and thus it's not HIS problem but Norton's.
I countered that I had given alienware THOUSANDS of dollars( a bit of an overstate) for the computer, that I was an UNHAPPY customer and if they did NOT look at my computer for me, I would NEVER buy from them again and I would tell EVERYONE how unhappy I am with their customer service. He refused. He stuck to the company line of it's NOT alienware's fault...
And I hung up on him.

At this point I plan on talking to Symantec(makers of Norton) but it's not toll free..... and perhaps talk to Best Buy's geek squad to see how much it might cost me to have THEM look around...

However I do want to share this tale with as many people as possible. Alienware does NOT stand behind their product. They do not have ANY 'authorized' repair people outside of their company- so it seems the only way to get your computer fixed by Alienware is to get them to authorize you to mail it back... which they don't seem to want to do.
I will NOT buy a new Alienware computer and I recommend that nobody else buy from them as well.

Postscript: Not sure when things will be 'back to normal' or when i'll get to interviewing those who've asked for it. BUT will get to it, so if you're just reading my blog/lj... please still feel free to post to my interview thread and when things get 'back to normal' I will ask you the 5 questions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home