Messages in Bottles

Monday, October 02, 2006

Ugh...

As I was fasting I ended up reading this article in USA Today.

It talks about how on the JEWISH DAY OF FORGIVENESS, Jews should forgive Mel Gibson. Which I thought was funny because it's not really a day of FORGIVENESS, but a day of ATONEMENT. Heck the author starts out by calling it ATONEMENT before he goes on the forgiveness track. The diff is that, WE ATONE for our sins and only G-D can FORGIVE. It's not like I called my Dad up and apologized to HIM for not Honoring him( as the commandments tell me to), if I were to atone... I'd tell G-d herself that I was sorry.... and hope that She would forgive me.

The next thing that really struck me, and I feel a need to blog about it, is this sentence "While official Jewish leadership (I have no idea what most Jews actually felt) perceived the film[Passion of the Christ] as viciously anti-Semitic, Gibson and millions of other decent and moral people in this country felt it was a deeply spiritual experience."

First the italics are mine to illustrate the author is NOT A JEW, and while he might be able to say "some of my best friends are..." it's clear he hasn't asked them what the deal was. Because they, like me and some of my NON Jewy friends, can tell you one of the big problems of the New Testement and Passion is the fact that Jesus' death is blamed on the JEWS and not the Romans who actually killed him. Jesus is arrested and put in a pool of rabble. Pontius Pilot then lets the Jews pick ONE prisoner to free. According to the New Testement he then tries to get them to free Jesus and when they won't, he tells everyone that it's on THE JEWS heads that Jesus is dying.
Jews objected to Gibson putting that line in the movie so... Gibson cheated. It's in the movie, but NOT sub titled. So if you're a stupid christian you can claim ignorance... but Gibson can't. He left it in on purpose.
Likewise, I am told as I never saw it, all the jews in the movie were straight from central casting... ugly with great big hook noses.

I suggest that if you want to read more about how anti-semitic Passion plays in general and Gibson's movie in specific was hateful to go to this website.

It just pisses me off that on one of the high holiest of days for Jews, that USA Today would publish something ATTACKING Jews for getting angry at Mel. The only thing scummier than Mel and his Dad( who's a holocaust denier) is someone DEFEBNDING Mel for being a bigot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home