Messages in Bottles

Monday, July 26, 2004

If you don't want something, don't get it!

I went to the Pru for lunch today... while I believe in curtailing unnecessary travel during the convention, I felt like I wanted a wrap from the Prudential and wanted to see how business was. Now there were ALOT of people AROUND the Pru, but few people in it. I imagine most of it were people staying at the Sheridan. But I digress...

In the Pru, before I got to the food court I saw a bunch of teenagers, all wearing dark red 'varsity' jerseys. I started reading the backs to see what school and they ALL had different slogans about how basically PRO CHOICE is PRO MURDER and how THEIR God doesn't approve. I was hungry, so I just moved on. However on my way back from food, I felt if I saw them again, I'd say something. I didn't see them again so I'm saying my piece here.

If you're against Gay Marriages/Abortion/Al Franken then don't Marry 1/ have one/ or listen to him. Being in a democracy means letting OTHERS do what THEY want. My TV has over 80 channels... If I think Fear Factor is too gross, I can change the channel or turn the TV off. If Bill O'Riely is on the radio, again I can change the channel or turn it off. If I don't want to marry a gay man... guess what? Even though I live in Ma., I don't have to marry them... Nor do I HAVE to marry a woman. Heck I could marry another Jew OR NOT. I can choose. Just like Shannon Elizabeth can choose not to marry me, even if I feel that GOD should command her to do so for everyone's happiness.

And that gets to my next point- YOUR GOD, ain't mine. And the more you want to send me to HELL, the less I want your god in the white house. Yes technically, being a Jew my god is an angry wrathful god... but then Christians should be all about peace and love and not damning me and my friends to hell... or worse try to score some 'points' by saying that Jewish doctors perform abortions to eat the kids. I mean MY GOD, how can you believe that? I mean I can go into all sorts of Christian name calling but to be honest, other religions preach the same 'we don't believe in something so nobody should do it...'

What I'm trying to say a) what a woman does with her OWN body is none of W.'s business b) what a man does( or doesn't) do with his privates is also NONE of W's business... even if the guy is in the Army. and c) what people over the age of consent, who are consenting, do in the privacy of their apartment/house/rv is still NONE of your god's business, even if it's 5 men and 2 women, if your god doesn't approve chances are he isn't invited.

So here's the deal, you think something is wrong- don't do it. Maybe, nicely, tell your friends that you don't think they should do it either... but don't you dare force your ideas on me... I don't force you not to eat bacon, for your women not to dance with men, and to respect MY Sabbath and keep it holy. So back off.

And I write this with anger because I've seen placards blaming ME and MINE for every problem under the sun. I also say this with anger because at my grandmother's grave unveiling (done a year after her death- a solemn occasion) one of my mother's cousins had a fetus button and gave me anti abortion leaflets. At the time I was shocked and took it, if he did it today I'd like to think I'd've yelled at him and tried to get him kicked out of the proceedings.
He won't however do it any more because he died a few years ago. I don't remember when he died because his brother didn't have a funeral for him. He told my mom that he wouldn't have a funeral for his own brother because he KNEW nobody in my damn family liked this guy and would come. I know I wouldn't've

1 Comments:

  • At 7/26/2004 07:09:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    But God's supposed to give ME Shannon Elizabeth... sigh.

    Aside from that, rock on. I agree with your message.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home