Messages in Bottles

Saturday, August 07, 2004

There's a hole in the bucket...

Yesterday as I walked over 2 miles with a friend, I couldn't help but think of the childhood rhyme 'There's a Hole in the bucket...' The song has Henry wanting to fix a bucket, and asking his wife Liza to help him figure out how to do it... It ends up in a logic loop as he needs water to help fix the bucket and he can't get the water without the bucket.
I started this week with a NEW video card that I wanted to put in my computer- to help with the impending Sims 2.
On Monday I had a friend show up to put in the newly purchased Vid card. It took him 10 min. We fired up the computer and lo and behold the video card needed MORE power. So he told me to get a 300 watt power plant and left. On Tuesday, before work, I walked about a mile and 1/2 to get the 300 watt power plant. He then came over on Wednesday and we found out that the new power plant wouldn't go with my compaq shell... apparently compaq had a non standard back plate. So we took the plate with us and returned the first power plant. Fortuately my friend had brought his car, so we drove to the computer store. Sadly they only had a cheap piece of crap to replace my power plant so we ended up driving for over an hour to find a place with a GOOD power plant that would fit the plate. We get lunch and then start to install the new power plant... HOWEVER before he finishes screwing everything in, My friend asks me how many watts my OLD power- turns out it was 300 watts. So we had spent the day for naught. He was tired, so I said we'd buy a new power plant AND a case on Friday.
That night I found out I could get a free case from a friend of a friend... so I tell the computer guy I would buy the power plant myself on Thursday before work and we'd put everything together on Friday.
So Thursday I return the second power plant. I ask to exchange it for a 400 watt power plant, they only have a 460 for a $100. Not wanting to spend that much money and wanting to get a better deal- I end up walking a mile and 1/2 to the store that I bought the first power plant and get a 500 watt plant for only $80. I then have to stand up at work for 6 hours on my feet....
On Friday about a 1/2 hour before we're suppose to meet my techno friend tells me he'd rather fix the computers at the game store instead of at my apartment... so I have to move my HEAVY computer several blocks then go back for the empty husk and power plant, all the while wishing he'd've told me this on Thursday so I didn't have to do it all at once.
Then we find out a) I need a new fan for the new case and B) the new case doesn't have brackets for the drivers... My friend didn't bring a car, and somehow manages to talk me into walking about 2 miles to get the brackets.... He offers an allusion about how we are explorers or some such... I point out- that being a Jew, I see it as us being lost in the desert and he KEEPS telling me the promised land is over the NEXT dune.
We buy the brackets- and I tell him if they don't work, we're putting everything back in the old case... and if I have to use the old video card, so be it.
Turns out the brackets aren't perfect BUT knowing I'm not throwing any more money/ time at the problem... he MAKES it work.

So:
The video card wanted a new power plant
the power plant wanted a new case
the case wanted new brackets
and my bank account is in the red a $100 MORE then the original cost of the video card. NEXT time I just wait a few more months til I can save/beg/steal enough money for a whole new computer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home