Messages in Bottles

Thursday, September 02, 2004

The cons of (world) Con

I thought it was odd that I wasn't sure that I would go to world con this weekend. I mean I had BEGGED my mom- putting off May B'day present to Sept. so that I could go. I took off this WHOLE weekend from work, Thursday to Monday, so that I could go...
BUT
last night I started thinking about HOW much it was...
and the fact that when I went to the last worldcon in Boston... wayyy back in '89, all my friends were going this year none of my friends were going. Either they didn't have the money or the time or they just wasn't sure it would be worth it.
Then there was the fact that the LAST Con I was at( comic con) I spent more time on the dealer's floor then at panels. And Panels is what World Con is really about.

HOWEVER

I thought about it last night and I realized that if I did NOT go to worldcon, that that would be the 2 ton elephant hanging over me- always wondering IF I went would I be having more fun???

This morning- work called, they asked me to work today and I flatly said No! and I realized something. I realized that paying for the con, would make SURE that I didn't go to work.
I want this weekend to be about fun. That to me is the important thing. 'Back to School' starts this weekend/next week. I've got a 40+ hour work week. So if I paid for the con and went when I wanted to and didn't when I was bored- wouldn't that be worth it?

Yes, comic con might've been more fun but would've cost like 5X the amount when you take into account travel and hotel... and worldcon only gets to Boston every so often( like 15 years).

That sounded good... and I was in the zone after I paid to get in and spent some time playing munchkin fu( which I could've just as easily played at the strat)... I then went to visit my game store manager friend. I chatted with him, while I ate my dinner( which was leftover lunch), and asked him about a movie which was gonna be shown at the con.

Another friend heard this, and got on my case- pointing out how much I was paying for the con and that I was just gonna SEE MOVIES???? I told him to be quiet, but he hurt the nerve of "I'm spending money- am I getting my money's worth of fun???" I hate thinking like that as it brings me down but *shrug* I'm wired that way.
And he kept making his point about what HE would be doing tonight.

It's taken me abit to unclench from this and quite frankly I feel that I should get money from this shmuck as HE messed up my enjoyment factor of today. I definitely am less happy from having seen him but hopefully I'll get back into the swing tomorrow.
I know I won't be going to work, and that's a good thing

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home