Messages in Bottles

Monday, August 16, 2004

Spin Cycles

This 'post' contains a couple of 'rants' that are connected because they are all about the republicans spin machine...

Two weeks ago, when my computer started getting a 'make over', I saw a Daily Show episode which I *REALLY* want to talk about here. Henry Bonilla, a congressman from Texas, came to talk to Jon Stewart about the "Republican Rapid Response Team" ( would that I was making this term up). The Rapid Response Team's job was to come up to Boston during the DNC and make sure people knew the 'real facts' after the Democrats say something that is CLEARLY wrong( according to the Republicans)... Bonilla then goes onto say that he'd just like Kerry to come out and admit he's a liberal, and that Kerry's even MORE liberal then Kennedy( like that's a bad thing). Jon Stewert then asks Bonilla, in a nice manner, who says Kerry is so liberal? Where is Bonilla getting his data? Bonilla says that this information isn't gotten from ONE report but from lots, and then Stewert asks what reports? He asks Bonilla to NAME NAMES, but Bonilla refuses. Stewert finally tells us the viewers that it IS from ONE report by the National Journal and that they actually say Kerry is more to the right of Kennedy.
It was just interesting to watch as the republican seemed to just spin and spin and not answer a simple direct question- while at the same time complaining that Democrats spin WAYY too much
( a transcript of this can be found at http://torch.dailykos.com/story/2004/8/3/33853/77159)
What I found the most interesting slash disgusting was that this congressman gave Stewert these very nice cowboy boots for Jon Stewert's new baby boy. Not content with just giving Stewert a nice present... Bonilla had to write on the bottoms with white out- GOP ROCKS! I just felt if it was me, I'd've left the boots on the table or slapped him. I mean that's really crass!

And speaking of crass- I have to mention the swiftboat boat ad. This is a bunch of nam vets who SAY they served with Kerry and that he was a lousy leader who doesn't deserve his medals. What this ad tellingly neglets to mention is that they served in Nam with Kerry... The same way I serve at Staples with Mitt. They weren't on the swift boat at the same EXACT time as Kerry, either they served before/after Kerry OR they served somewhere else entirely then Kerry.
It should be mentioned that this ad is soo repugnant that McCain( also a Viet Nam Vet) said this commercial was in bad taste and called on W. to denounce the ad. W. did no such thing of course.
I will add though, that I thought was interesting that I saw this ad getting free play on Fox News, as they aired the WHOLE commercial so that they could talk about it. You just know that if they were talking about a pro Kerry ad/ anti W. ad, they wouldn't've shown ANY clips or just show the line they wanted to talk about.

Oh, and it seems that the CIA needs a spellchecker. I heard on Bill O'Riely last week that the WMDs are in IraN not IraQ. I'm so glad that's cleared up, that Saddam didn't have WMDs he just wanted them but Iran DOES have the bomb.
What truly is interesting is that W. wants to put a guy who was on the senate intel committee, the same group that gave the CIA WMD info a passing grade, in charge of the CIA. Gee I wonder if the new head of the CIA, who would owe his job to W., will agree with W. that IraN has the bomb.And of course, will we have boots on the ground in Iran by October?

Lastly (for this post) is Keyes. The republicans realized that they couldn't allow Obama to run unopposed, esp. after appearing on the national stage at the DNC. So in their wisdom they got Alan Keyes. Keyes first strike is that he doesn't live in Illinois, so they couldn't even find an African American republican in Illinois to run. Strike two is that Keyes came out VERY PUBLICLY against Hillary Clinton carpet bagging to run for NY senate, said clip has been aired all over.
Myself I think strike 3 was when I saw Keyes this weekend and he pointed out that him and Obama are DIFFERENT. That even though they both are technically black, if you go beyond their skin color you will see differences... Like the fact that Keyes' ancestors were brought over here AS SLAVES, and every day Keyes has to deal with the fact that his ancestors were slaves... as Obama, while he's an African American, he's a newbie and hasn't suffered like Keyes as Obama's father was an AFRICAN not african AMERICAN.
I'm sure Keyes, a republican looney even by the Republican Party's POV will end up fouling another few balls between now and the election, but it's just sad that they're even running him...
But what do you expect from a party where one of their biggest members( Ashcroft) lost his senate seat to a dead man

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home