Messages in Bottles

Sunday, September 19, 2004

Keen Eddie

As I said in the message before/below... I want to get a bit away from my political rants for a short bit, so this post/blog is to share with you my love for Keen Eddie.

Keen Eddie is one of the shows that Fox killed still born. You know the type the show that COULD'VE been a mega hit if Fox had just given the writers a chance to find the show's voice or the viewers a chance to FIND the show. Shows like Firefly, Greg the Bunny, Harsh Realm, Wonderfalls, and the two ULTIMATE killed too soon- Alien Nation and Brisco County Jr. .
(ed note: I didn't actually get to see Harsh Realm or Wonderfalls but have heard good things about both)

I caught Keen Eddie on Bravo- after Fox had given up on it and I fell in love immediately. It's premise is quite simple- 1 hour police comedy: fish out of water. Eddie is an American GUNG HO police officer in England. His partner comes across as a nerdish sexfiend, his boss is trying to ride Eddie's coat tails to HIS next promotion and Eddie's flatmate is a cute blonde who he's constantly fighting with and if there was a second season- it's clear they'd end up sleeping together. Added to the cast is "Moneypenny" the boss' secretary who in MOST episodes- Eddie asks her a general question and she responds with a sexual entendre or just 'wtf' moment. I've talked to a friend( who intro'd me to Eddie) HE thinks that it's ambiguous about what she's saying... I think it's all in Eddie's mind.

It was released on DVD a couple of weeks ago and I pre ordered it from Amazon the week before. On the shrinkwrap it mentioned that 6 episodes were 'never aired'- so only 1/2 the episodes were aired... which is a shame. I mean even the 2 episodes I saw on Bravo were enough for me to cough up $28 bucks for the 13 episodes.

The characters are FUN-NEE... the editing quirky( several reviewers compare to snatch but I haven't seen Snatch) and the cases are just priceless( the second episode where a horse is stolen for his SEED is priceless).
A reviewer on Amazon has pointed out that the episodes are out of order on the DVDs, but this hasn't affected my enjoyment of them AT all.

I really wish that Fox had given Eddie and the other shows listed a chance. I know I've often heard of how back in the days the BIG 3- ABC, CBS, and NBC would often give a show a shot because the execs KNEW they had something- and the shows went on to be HUGE hits... would that Fox had the same moxie.

I really recommend everyone buys or rents this series if they can. This is GOOD TV.

3 Comments:

  • At 9/21/2004 02:13:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I've noticed Fox is one of the more guilty of the networks when it comes to cancelling good shows long before their time. I'd add Space: Above and Beyond to your list.

    On the plus: Fox's Arrested Development is getting a dvd release too.

     
  • At 9/23/2004 07:49:00 PM, Blogger Drew said…

    Yeah... but I'll be dead for five years it seems before Fox will give me Brisco County Jr. on DVD.

    and I didn't mention Space... because a freind suggested that IT was cancelled because Fox micromanaged it to HELL. They took a perfectly good WWII fighter pilot show, asked for it to be turned into Sci Fi and then canceled it because well they don't like Sci Fi.

     
  • At 9/24/2004 11:21:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I never knew it was originally supposed to be a WWII show. It was a damn good sci-fi show though.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home