Messages in Bottles

Monday, September 27, 2004

Post Fasting

So I fasted starting Friday night. My 'fast regiment' consists of starting to eat about a 1/2 hour to an hour before sunset, and looking at the clock often. I usually have pizza as it gives me a full bloated feeling. So I was then tired due to the full belly, HOWEVER I keep myself up to about 11pm or so reading- as I'm less hungry at hour 1 then I am at hour 10, so I want to sleep LATE the next day. I also make sure before I eat that I have a light on( for aforementioned reading) and the fan going. So long as I don't turn them OFF during Yom Kippur, I don't really consider it cheating- I mean if Orthodox jews can have goyim turn stuff on and off- surely I can just leave things ON during the high holy day.

One of the reasons I don't use the computer and TV is to make myself MORE aware of the day- It's alot easier to fast if you're watching tv( esp. a dvd with no Burger King commercials) or playing Sims 2, and lose track of time. This year I did spend too much time reading BUT I made sure I went to the park.

See I live about a block from the part and I don't remember going into it and just enjoying it any time this year- so I did that. I like to go to the park to see 'God's Handiwork'. I BELIEVE more in God and the idea of a God when I'm in Nature then when I'm in a temple.

I spent most of my time reading and looking about at a World War Two Memorial, to the Massachusetts troops, as it had some nice benches and made me introspective. For instance they added to this memorial posts for the Korean War and 'Nam. Which makes me wonder if they'll add something for the Massachusetts troops for Iraq War Number 2. I also thought it was interesting that since this memorial was for Ma. soldiers, there were more Walshs' then Greenbergs... and oddly I looked for, and found, Joe Kennedy Ir.'s name on the wall.

Actually what I really want to say, as I really found it interesting was, I had a better time fasting and not watching tv on Saturday then I did going to work on Sunday. Staples is Hell. The reason I might not have been as apologetic as I should've been on Yom Kippur is because I feel I'm basically a good guy and whatever I've done wrong does NOT equal the hell I go through at Staples most of the days that I'm there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home