Messages in Bottles

Sunday, December 19, 2004

"A Very Special Blog"

Ok so we're in the valley of the X-mas specials. The specials have been going since like the two weeks and will end this week.

My first gripe with this- is the f*ing obvious one. There are only TWO Hannuka specials that I know of- the first being the Rugrats Hannuka Special about the 'meanie' of Hannuka and the other is Comedy Central's 'Hebrew Hammer', a 'Shaft' take off with the Hebrew Hammer( a circumcised private dick) is called to save Hannuka from Santa's EVIL son( and his henchman tiny tim). Hebrew Hammer is to die for- and Comedy Central made sure to run it during the holiday( and it came out on dvd before Hannuka).

My second is that 80% of these specials are about the MEANING of X-mas. Excuse me but if everybody THINKS it's about the presents, doesn't that mean it's about the presents?

Or put it another way, say you're walking down the street with a friend and you see someone walking their cat. You think it's slightly odd, but you go to the cat's owner- Hey, nice cat! They then tell you it's a dog. A very SPECIAL dog... You look at your friend and go 'isn't that a cat?' they nod.
Now if you're a normal person you'd smile, nod and walk quickly away. Perhaps you might take a picture of the creature with your phone camera( imagine for the sake of this story you have one), and post it to your blog- asking people CAT or DOG? Or check the library to see which one it most looks like.
I'd leave it with 'that pet owner is in their own special world'

However it seems if you're a t.v. slash movie executive you then make AT LEAST 5 movies about this special dog that LOOKS like a cat... and explain to everyone how wonderful this is... Even though you prolly couldn't care less and just want to make money off this.

I'm sick of being told the "meaning of Christmas" by people who are making money telling me the MEANING of Christmas. I mean maybe if all the proceeds were going to toys for tots that would be one thing... but Tim Allen most likely made millions for Santa Clause and Santa Clause 2... Oh and a couple of more for Christmas with the Kranks.
Have to mention Christmas with the Kranks because several reviewers pointed out that one of the problems of said movie was that the WHOLE town was trying to force the Kranks to be 'festive' for Christmas, so god help the Jews in that town.

Enough already. I get that the holidays mean that Hollywood and Old Navy want me to lie to little kids about Santa Claus... And tell them it's NOT about the presents, while of course getting into debt to BUY presents to show that I love them, even though it's NOT about the presents.

2 Comments:

  • At 12/25/2004 01:24:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    My kids know Christmas is ONLY about presents and Christmas trees, because if it weren't for the joy of seeing them with presents, we wouldn't celebrate at all.

    I do want to give South Park some props for making a Christmas episode every year that at least partially points out Kyle's difficulty with everyone else doing Christmas and him being Jewish.

    But Hannuka specials? Yeah, I can't think of any others either.

     
  • At 12/26/2004 04:18:00 PM, Blogger Drew said…

    See I sent you presents on All Hollows because I thought you did it then.... As I expect to have money again( I hope) next year- let me know which you prefer x-mas or holloween present gifting.
    And as I *think* I might've mentioned I didn't really get the christmas= CHRIST til I was older, as a kid it was presents and family( as that was the only time I really hung with the extended Harris Clan)

    and isn't there a commerical'the only thing better then a child's smile is knowing YOU put it there'? ;-)

    And yes, South Park is good for having Kyle a Jewish main character... However I really disliked this year's 'holiday' episode- and to all you canadains reading this( which might be ONE) I apologize. I didn't think the 'follow the only road' was all that funny.
    I did their season 3 Jewbilee episode with Moses( and him being in the Super Best Friends), but don't think it was a jewish holiday special per say.

    and would have been red faced but happy if you could've mentioned another... though they do show the ten commandments arround passover so that might count.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home