Kling of King(on)s
Was cleaning my room and found a pamphlet I wanted to blog about
Klingons For Christ.
I thought it was amusing in the same way I found 'Jews for Jesus' to be in college. When I first saw the "Jews for Jesus" handouts I did a double take. Yes, I knew that Jesus was Jewish,as were some of his original followers, but I thought that the definition of a Christian was one who believed that Jesus was the Christ. I talked to a Jewish friend who was more Jewish then me( not that hard). She agreed with me that Christians= believers in Jesus as Christ, and pointed out that it was a mind game thing. They were trying to appeal to these Jews by saying they could still be Jews, while accepting the word of the Church. Which she felt was a load of bull.
The Klingons for Krist is similar but different. One could argue you could be a fictional alien who HAPPENS to believe in Christ. However the hook is that the Christians are pretending to be members of the sci fi community in order to recruit people. They are trying to co-op the language of those that they are trying to absorb. Yeah I said absorb- because from this pamphlet, I think that Christians are more like the Borg- trying to mindlessly take over all others. And like the Borg, Christians assimilate their 'opposition' so that they might conquer others. They take the ideas they like from other faiths and throw out the rest- I know of many examples but my 'favorite' is how they've turned local gods- so that each community feels they have a connection, and turned it to patron saints, so there are still minor deities for the people to pray to, who will hopefully intervene with the BIGGER god.
Klingons For Christ.
I thought it was amusing in the same way I found 'Jews for Jesus' to be in college. When I first saw the "Jews for Jesus" handouts I did a double take. Yes, I knew that Jesus was Jewish,as were some of his original followers, but I thought that the definition of a Christian was one who believed that Jesus was the Christ. I talked to a Jewish friend who was more Jewish then me( not that hard). She agreed with me that Christians= believers in Jesus as Christ, and pointed out that it was a mind game thing. They were trying to appeal to these Jews by saying they could still be Jews, while accepting the word of the Church. Which she felt was a load of bull.
The Klingons for Krist is similar but different. One could argue you could be a fictional alien who HAPPENS to believe in Christ. However the hook is that the Christians are pretending to be members of the sci fi community in order to recruit people. They are trying to co-op the language of those that they are trying to absorb. Yeah I said absorb- because from this pamphlet, I think that Christians are more like the Borg- trying to mindlessly take over all others. And like the Borg, Christians assimilate their 'opposition' so that they might conquer others. They take the ideas they like from other faiths and throw out the rest- I know of many examples but my 'favorite' is how they've turned local gods- so that each community feels they have a connection, and turned it to patron saints, so there are still minor deities for the people to pray to, who will hopefully intervene with the BIGGER god.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home