Messages in Bottles

Saturday, June 25, 2005

Welcome to my world...

At the Bruce signing, I talked to a friend from the Strat. He works at Trader Joe's ( supermarket chain). He told me he was recently promoted and transferred to a store near me. I asked them if they were hiring, and explained to him while I'm not looking for a CAREER at Trader Joe's, I need me some greenbacks.

He said they were indeed hiring and I should go by there. He mentioned that they might be looking for the graveyard shift. I told him that while that didn't fill me with joy as it might once( for I am old and need my sleep), I'd be willing to do a graveyard shift once a week or so IF it helped me get the job.

So I went to the store near me yesterday. I talked to someone who I thought was management and asked 'Are you hiring?' I figured this was a simple gateway to get an application and talk to him. Apparently he wasn't HIGH on the food chain as he had to 'talk' to another manager, who was on the phone. I was asked to wait, and said 'no problem'. The guy I spoke to then went into the back... He said he spoke to ANOTHER manager and they were NOT hiring but perhaps if I came back next week, they might be hiring then.

Now first, most of the time I ask I am offered an application, saying we're not hiring now but you could fill out an application... Yadda Yadda. Not so here.
Second, I was told that they were hiring... which leads to third- on my way out I noticed that there was a POSTER in the window saying they were hiring. Now granted, I didn't see the poster on the way in but I don't think that's an IQ test- Well he didn't see the poster so we can't hire him.

This just irked me last night. That they wouldn't even offer me an application- the response was come back next week. It just gets me down. Esp. as I'm going to be in NYC next week. Which is sort of a good thing but I worry that I'll miss a good job because I'm in NYC kicking back instead of bugging Trader Joe's.

Sorry for whinning but am doing laundry and felt I had to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home