Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Eve of Yom Kippur

Briefly tried looking to see if I blogged about my Yom Kippur habits LAST year... didn't see them but then I just did a quick glance at Oct. and Nov., when a) I was thinking about Staples and the elections and b) it could've been in September...

But since I couldn't find it... A little background on the holiday and an (quick) update with what's going on (find it amusing that I haven't updated since I put the counter on)

Yom Kippur is the Jewish Day of Atonement. Think of it as a day of confession. Jews are supposed to fast all day to cleanse the body.Besides fasting for a day (and a day is from sunset to sunset for us Lunars), Jews go to temple to ask for forgiveness for ALL the sins of the past year… So we clean our bodies as well as our spirits as we prepare for a hopeful new year.
I fast but I don’t go to temple. I don’t go to temple because I have a hard time with organized religions. Basically the Rabbi asks you to apologize for EVERY possible sin in the book. One Rabbi explained it to the congregation as, well you are responsible for the whole community- so if someone else sinned and you didn’t stop them; guess what, you should apologize. I felt that was crap, as there’s NO WAY I can stop W. from sending people to kill and die in Iraq, nor can I stop Enron from lying about the money they stole.
So I meditate in silence at home, fasting and trying to think of exactly what I should be sorry for besides coveting my neighbor’s ass, not honoring the Sabbath and of course dishonoring my parents here.
;-)
I also don’t play video games or use any electronics (TV, computer, etc.) I think it would be too easy to fast for 24 hours with these distractions.

Ok, now because of my fast- I’ve eaten completely different today. For my diet, I have an energy bar for breakfast (which I rather like), a good lunch and Weight Watchers for dinner… However I can’t fast with just a Weight Watchers in my tummy. So today I had eggs for breakfast, a diet bar for lunch and will have a good sized pizza for dinner; as Uno’s deep dish pizza is very filling with the deep dish crust.

I think this year is going to start on a bit of an upswing (ummm maybe) as I just got an interview for Monday, for a corporate library, and I’m losing weight and feeling good about losing the weight.
The negs of the year… I don’t have the job yet and I just got Sims Nightlife and it doesn’t work (add to that the fact that someone was nice enough to do the Earth 3/Evil Marvels from the Super Buddies), and I give Meirs about even odds to get on the Supreme Court.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home