Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Reciprocity

Normally when I do a favor- it’s because I’m a nice guy. Yes, I would like Karma, or the person who I’m doing the favor for, to remember and pay me back. However that’s not why I do the favor- I do it because I’m nice. I don’t keep a running tally as to who I owe a favor to or who owes me a favor; because that’s not the point the point is doing nice things for friends.
That said, if I do you a bunch of favors… I don’t expect too much balking if I ask for an easy and similar type favor.

I say this because a friend’s husband pissed me off. I have often given her MY discount at the game store. I have once in a blue moon inquired if her husband’s discount at his retail employers is better then their circular- and since the circular is usually a better price I go with that. Several months ago I ordered a comic for her using my sub at a comic place- so that a) she be assured to get the comic and b) she’d be able to get my discount. I got the comic for on Friday and she didn’t have the money for her… so I let her owe me. Last night I called her as I’ve been trying to find the PERFECT edition of Not Another Teen Movie… as I’d like to own it, but don’t want to buy 2 or 3 versions. I thought I saw the perfect ‘unrated special edition’ at her husband’s store on Monday before I went to work, so I asked her to get me the copy with the money she owed me. She seemed fine with that and told me she’d do it…

SO I was pissed when she came to the game store today without the movie. She claimed that her husband was cutting back on using his discount for ‘friends’ and that Best Buy was ‘cracking down on employee purchases’. So I threw a hissy fit at her. I pointed out, as above, that I often give her and her husband MY discount at the game store. I also know that she LEFT a job because they gave her crap for using her discount for him.
What bothers me about this is a) I dislike her husband and he NEVER seems to want to help anyone but himself and b) had she just told me when I asked her to do this, I would’ve thought him a putz but not gotten so angry… As it is I don’t plan on giving either of them a discount at the game store again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home