Messages in Bottles

Monday, February 06, 2006

Food

Several thought about food; sort of a collection of bloggets if you will.

Even though I’ve lost a lot of weight (down 34 lbs.), I still consider myself a foodie. I love food. I enjoy eating, and oft times I think of when and what I’m eating next.
For breakfast I always have my cliff bars, I’ve tried a couple of other flavors- but the mint chocolate is the keeper because it has the caffeine kick that the other cliff bars lack. I always have my Weight Watchers for dinner- though I alternate between 4 or 5 of them (and once in a while lean cuisine’s ravioli), however I still let myself ‘go’ for lunch. Which is to say, I have a ‘sensible’ lunch but eat whatever I want or can get. However because of my job, I eat mostly at the food court because it’s cheaper and easier then going to the local mall- I only have about 3 out of 7 possible lunches where I can get ‘anything’… added to that I have to be at the game store at Noon on Sunday and my options get a bit worse. Usually for the Sunday meal I eat Panda Express as its pretty good, cheap Chinese

I recently have pined for several foods from one place for weeks as I just couldn’t get there or wasn’t in the ACTUAL mood on a day I could get there. Oddly both were from the same pizza place and neither lived up to the hype. The two that didn’t hit the spot, and I wasn’t sure if that I had built them up soo much in my mind, or just that the pizza place has gone to pot is a bbq chicken fingers and a small onion pizza.
However another place, where I buy the pizza by the slice (New York ‘style’ large slices) was just as good as I remember when I went there Saturday. The guy behind the counter mentioned that he hadn’t seen me for awhile… I explained I was on a diet, that pizza wasn’t on it- but I still HAD to have my pizza slices.
Another place that’s still good, but I rarely get from as it’s a bit pricy (for me at least… I mean compare $20 for take out to the $5 for a local Chinese food place that has spring roll, main course and rice) is a place that makes southwestern egg rolls and jalapeno poppers. The poppers are great because they’re with cream cheese (instead of cheddar) and they send them to me with Russian dressing, which just makes them even tastier.

It was also interesting that at work- I found a bag of bite sized candies. I loaded up my pocket and told other minions about it. I did NOT ask whose it was, I just took some. One of my female co-workers mentioned that I had a REALLY happy face as I ate a mini milky way. I pointed out that I’ve been on a diet and this is the first time I’ve had chocolate in AGES. She countered that she didn’t think I needed to lose weight, and I pointed out that this is AFTER losing a good amount of weight (not mentioning that she’s a little chucky herself ;-) )
I will admit however that I have been grazing on cashews. My sister served on Christmas these wonderful thia lime flavored cashews… and when I found them at Trader Joe’s I had to have them but I’ve been careful, only eating a handful or so at a time… so the bag has lasted me over two weeks and I’ve still managed to lose weight.
Heck one of the reasons I felt I ‘deserved’ the cashews is I’m about 10 lbs. from what I consider my ‘ultimate’ goal and I sort of wonder what I do when I hit my ideal weight.

Which leads to the last part of this post…. Yesterday I was getting my Weight Watchers and I decided to look at the Hungry Man meals. I figured that just maybe I could think of upping my intake a bit.
However I was shocked at the caloric difference between them. I looked at the chicken strips with cheese fries- it’s part of their 1 lb. of food meals, and I noticed that the amount of calories from FAT on the Hungry Man meal was more then the amount of total calories of a Weight Watchers meal I was buying.
Wow. Needless to say I put the Hungry Man meal down.
And there are times that I miss my Wendy’s, however I remind myself that I’m not eating there due to my diet but because of Fast Food Nation and my craving for it goes away.

3 Comments:

  • At 2/07/2006 12:17:00 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Do you like Wendy's chili? Because it's very low in fat, and way back in the day when I fiddled with Weigt Watchers, it was one of their low point foods.

     
  • At 2/07/2006 10:43:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Fast forward to a day later when I'm semi-awake, and not reading every other word...

    And this is why I steer clear of those kinds of books. Don't ask, don't tell. If I don't know it can't hurt me. So on and so forth.

    And I like fast food. I'd die without it. Well, okay not die, but be miserable, and cranky, and--okay, I'll stop. LOL.

     
  • At 2/10/2006 08:25:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    Yeah I can understand ignorence( save for the president) is sometimes bliss. I cut out veal when I found out what THAT was all about. I also don't eat red meat... but I do appreciate the sentiment of suggesting something that might be good for the diet, even if I don't follow it.
    A co worker has suggested a place near me that does vegan chili which I might try.

    And yeah 6 months( and 35 lbs.) ago I would've died without my fast food... but I'm managing somehow... though I still have french fry cravings and I plan to pig out on belgian fries when I'm in Amsterdam- have told a friend I'll eat them every day, with all sorts of sauces and maybe gain some of that 35 lbs. back
    ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home