Messages in Bottles

Saturday, April 21, 2007

Work Stress

[I started this a few days ago and have been too busy/ wanting NOT to think about work when I'm not there... so please excuse if the the beginning of this post ends up having a different feeling then the end. Right now I've had two days off in a row so am perhaps a bit calmer]

I want you guys to know that one of the reasons I went back to school is because of EXACTLY what's going on at the gift store at this time. When I started at the gift store we had a certian good crew of managers- with one bad apple( who was gotten rid of), in the little over a year... all save one of what I consider 'good managers' have left. One of the guys I like is left on Monday and his replacement is EVERYTHING I hate about retail/retail management.

The new assistant manager PUSHES and PUSHES us to sell a product. The three problems I have with this is a) it's a $12.50 product and our average sale is like a $3 candy sale to a punk @$$ kid. b) He wants us to 'lie' and say it's like a 'today' only sale- which it ain't and c) when I see HIM on register( which is butt rare), I've notice HE has a habit of not pushing the bag.
Oh wait... I 'forgot' the real problem I have with him being on MY CASE to sell this F'ING product. NO TRICKLE DOWN. HE ( and other full time managers) get $ for us selling this stuff but I'm lucky if I get (can't find a cent character on my keyborad but that's what we'd be lucky to get). And I do mean cents... as a co-worker told me she was offered a candy bar if she sold 8! of these bags. Up until I talked to her( lets call her Aa) Aa didn't have a CLUE that management gets 'bonuses' for acheiving goals. I told her this because I told her that I didn't like the new ass't manager (K) because K is forcing us to SELL! these bags and K is going to be earning off my @$$ because HE'S gonna get a bonus if I do a good job, and because I don't like him- I don't feel motivated to earn for him.

I also talked to another co-worker, currently the ONLY Sales Supervisor we have.. or at least I *think* she's the only one as two other people have 'access' to do management stuff( more on that a bit later). She was a bit pissed because she asked the manager if he would be kind enough AFTER she leaves to be a reference for her. He gave her the offical spiel that she'd have to talk to Human Resources. Now I know that HR would just give the offical run arround, as I guess she did as well as that got her pissed, esp as she's worked for the gift store for THREE YEARS ( her emphisis not mine). I asked her if she got a review from the Manager. She told me the amount of her yearly raise( didn't use the dollar sign because it was much less then a buck). I shook my head( after mentally comparing her raise to MINE) and qualified my question- I asked if the manager had actually sat her down and went over her review... which he didn't.
That's one of the top three things that bugged me about my raise( the first being I didn't get it on my year anniversary with the company, the second that it didn't cover cost of living); was that the manager couldn't/didn't find the time to go over our review and give us feedback. Heck on my year anniversary with the company; after asking for a review/raise... the manager said that we get raises in Feb.... but he had indeed done a review of me- where he found me average, some places better then norm, some worse. I let him know that I was sort of interested in seeing it... and he NEVER went over it.

I should mention the supervisor and I got the same amount for our raise... which makes me wonder if the raise had anything to do with what we earn in the first place( i.e. perecentage raise) or if it was was just a flat raise- i.e. if you get a 3 out of 5 on your review you get a dime.

I started this post because not only do I have a mad on for K, but one of the ass't managers who I LOVE is leaving. He left between me starting this post and me posting it. I know he's going to a better place- he moved out here for a year or so as they remodeled the store he normally worked at... and his family and most of his friends live in the town his store is in... but I'm going to miss him because he's been replaced by K. and right now the supervisor and ONE ass't manager are the only ones I like... I'd say that's 2/5 and not a bad amount BUT the two I like are both part time compared to the 3/5 that I don't like that are full time... which means odds are better for me to work with M, K and Lm then T or La.

I also want to note that M, K and Lm are freinds outside of work. While M and Lm didn't know each other until Lm was hired... M has taken Lm on as a mentor, and they play poker together. M and K have a mutual friend and one night, they were talking about playing WoW together... which is probmatic for them because of the whole server thing.
( I did think it was amusing that even though M PLAYS WoW- he doesn't know who Leeroy Jenkins is...)

Lastly- when I mentioned two people have access to store codes- they can open draws without sales and do other management related stuff on the register but to the best of knowedge, don't have keys or the status of management. One of my co-workers who I see saw on whether I like them... has asked me when I'm going to get the codes... I told her I don't worry about it- because unless I actually get the promotion WITH A RAISE, I don't want to be doing more work for the same amount of money. That happened to me at my first retail job- as people left/ got promoted, I got more responisibilites BUT never got promoted and thus didn't get paid for the more work, just got berated for not doing all of my work in the fastest time.

Ok... that's it for now. Gotta get ready for work and don't want to work myself TOO much into a bad mood BEFORE work.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home