New Jorb
Ok. I’ve been working there for about a week and I figured it was about time to give a bit of info about it.
Job Title: Security Officer
Location: Downtown Boston. I take the train to and fro work. It’s a nice short commute.
Hours: 3pm to 11pm
Co-Workers: I have 2 regular co-workers; J. whom I relieve at 3pm; and D. who relieves me at 11pm. (more about them a bit later)
Duties: I walk the line… Um. I sit/stand at a security desk for a few hours. The cleaners come, I give them their keys. When they’re done cleaning, I count the keys to make sure they haven’t stolen any. I do a round (or two- wanna be a little vague here.) of the building. I do the round to make sure that there’s nothing burning or leaking or otherwise out of place.
So-
Actual Job: most of my time is me at the security desk doing NOTHING! And hoping to do nothing- which is to say I’m there IN CASE of an emergency- but the company is being preventive… hence the rounds.
So a good chunk of my ‘job’ is sitting/standing at the front of the lobby. I finished a book this week--- first I think of the year—and I think I’ll get a good amount read.
My feelings: Ok, I wish there was a bit more human interaction BUT that said- I prefer this job already to my last full time job at the gift store. I don’t have to deal with LOUD whiny kids. I don’t have to push any products to try and ‘justify’ my salary. I’m allowed to read (so long as it is after hours n’ stuff).
I like the 7am-3pm guy. I think he wants to be my ‘mentor’ or otherwise ‘help’ me. Which is ok, I guess. I prefer him to the 11pm to 7am person. Let’s just say that I can NOT give her the keys, I have to place them on the desk… as well the keys/me are unclean.
I think the job is pretty straight forward. Actually the oddest thing is having not only A weekend- but THE weekend off- I have Saturday and Sunday off… which also means that Wednesday is indeed hump day. After working most my life in retail it’s an odd feeling.
Though then again the flip side is that I work 3pm-11pm- so I go to bed shortly after coming home from work… and will have to figure out what to do with my day BEFORE work( besides skype, facebook and netflix).
Any Questions?
Job Title: Security Officer
Location: Downtown Boston. I take the train to and fro work. It’s a nice short commute.
Hours: 3pm to 11pm
Co-Workers: I have 2 regular co-workers; J. whom I relieve at 3pm; and D. who relieves me at 11pm. (more about them a bit later)
Duties: I walk the line… Um. I sit/stand at a security desk for a few hours. The cleaners come, I give them their keys. When they’re done cleaning, I count the keys to make sure they haven’t stolen any. I do a round (or two- wanna be a little vague here.) of the building. I do the round to make sure that there’s nothing burning or leaking or otherwise out of place.
So-
Actual Job: most of my time is me at the security desk doing NOTHING! And hoping to do nothing- which is to say I’m there IN CASE of an emergency- but the company is being preventive… hence the rounds.
So a good chunk of my ‘job’ is sitting/standing at the front of the lobby. I finished a book this week--- first I think of the year—and I think I’ll get a good amount read.
My feelings: Ok, I wish there was a bit more human interaction BUT that said- I prefer this job already to my last full time job at the gift store. I don’t have to deal with LOUD whiny kids. I don’t have to push any products to try and ‘justify’ my salary. I’m allowed to read (so long as it is after hours n’ stuff).
I like the 7am-3pm guy. I think he wants to be my ‘mentor’ or otherwise ‘help’ me. Which is ok, I guess. I prefer him to the 11pm to 7am person. Let’s just say that I can NOT give her the keys, I have to place them on the desk… as well the keys/me are unclean.
I think the job is pretty straight forward. Actually the oddest thing is having not only A weekend- but THE weekend off- I have Saturday and Sunday off… which also means that Wednesday is indeed hump day. After working most my life in retail it’s an odd feeling.
Though then again the flip side is that I work 3pm-11pm- so I go to bed shortly after coming home from work… and will have to figure out what to do with my day BEFORE work( besides skype, facebook and netflix).
Any Questions?
Labels: new job


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home