Applications for the 21st Century
Originally I was gonna write here about the death of a local bookstore- but I realized that I was taking a 'application quiz' for a large chain and that I was writing more stream of consciousness about it then about the small bookstore's death... so I will end up writing here tomorrow about the death of small business and have this just about the application I'm doing. It took me MUCH longer to fill then I thought, or the one at Best Buy- which I'm convinced was by the same company.
I think it annoying that it doesn't seem to let me apply to two or more stores at once... so I might redo it for the other store.
(note: not mentioning the chain I'm filling out for JUST IN CASE- as I do sorta want to work for them)
I'm being forced to answer how much I want from them. In a paper form I usually leave this blank so I have lee-way. Right now my choices are the ball park I was in at Staples or to try and ask for the next level. On the one hand I don't want to price myself out of the park, on the other hand I don't want to lowball and get all bitter when I find out everyone makes more then me. I've decided to 'give myself a raise' and go for the next one up. I mean the beginning of the next highest is what a co-worker in my department was making and if I can actually make MORE money at this store, so much the better. Besides it's about .50 cents difference and I'd rather price myself 50 cents or MORE then what I made at Staples then less then what I made at Staples to 50 cents more bracket. Let them talk me down instead of me talk up.
the questionnaire is geared to local laws and has informed me that I can NOT be forced to take a lie detector test IN MA. and in what circumstances I can claim NO criminal record- even if I've 'talked' to an officer of the law. And I love the choice is Yes or NO RECORD.... Not yes or no
it's asked college and college/ graduate school but only gave me one line for my primary course study- and of course x amount of space for it
Then I got asked me if I was still employed by Staples... Tricky. I said yes but tough call... as I won't be by the time I have an interview with them.
Man some of the spaces to type my answers- too little space. Actually this really bothers me as it's not a question of being concise- it's a question of finding SMALL words that will fit. Sort of a bad crossword puzzle, where your answer won't fit but you KNOW it's right. Like I want to write that one of the worst things about one of my jobs was I worked a late shift and so it was often dead. However that won't fit and can't say 'worked a late shift' because they might get the wrong idea that I don't like working nights so I had to say 'often I was the only one there.' which could me I lacked for co-workers or patrons. I had 9 spaces after the period, but no patrons wouldn't fit... so I'm forced to leave it as is.
I would of course- prefer to apply for BOTH cashier/ supervisor- so that I can get THEM to pick one and say I'm flexible but again it won't let me. I said fuck it and checked supervisor. However this bothers me as I have NO clue if they are even hiring supervisors.... and it bothers me that I've been unable to send them my resume either as a .PDF or give to a person.
and then there are 47 pages of questions where I'm suppose to strongly agree, agree, disagree or strongly disagree as they try to find out what sort of peg I am. It's the same questions as the best buy test I took. I wish I could hack the system to get the 'right' answers. And because they want your gut feelings on this stuff you can't go back. nertz.
I think some of the questions are repeated to catch me in my lies. double nertz
I really feel that talking to a person is a MUCH better way of doing things. I found the inability to list ALL my experience and thoughts to be a big minus. I disliked that it asked me a bunch of arbitrary questions to get at what sort of personality I am... and then re-asked questions to catch me in a lie.
It ended up taking about 2 hours. Though I will admit I put a couple of cds in to listen and I took a mini break to eat some of my spaghetti from lunch... Also had to call a friend as I was using him as a professional reference and wanted to use his gf as a personal reference. However I would've much prefered face time and a chance for someone to see my WHOLE resume, not just my last three jobs.
I dislike the way this country is moving.
faceless automatons.
I think it annoying that it doesn't seem to let me apply to two or more stores at once... so I might redo it for the other store.
(note: not mentioning the chain I'm filling out for JUST IN CASE- as I do sorta want to work for them)
I'm being forced to answer how much I want from them. In a paper form I usually leave this blank so I have lee-way. Right now my choices are the ball park I was in at Staples or to try and ask for the next level. On the one hand I don't want to price myself out of the park, on the other hand I don't want to lowball and get all bitter when I find out everyone makes more then me. I've decided to 'give myself a raise' and go for the next one up. I mean the beginning of the next highest is what a co-worker in my department was making and if I can actually make MORE money at this store, so much the better. Besides it's about .50 cents difference and I'd rather price myself 50 cents or MORE then what I made at Staples then less then what I made at Staples to 50 cents more bracket. Let them talk me down instead of me talk up.
the questionnaire is geared to local laws and has informed me that I can NOT be forced to take a lie detector test IN MA. and in what circumstances I can claim NO criminal record- even if I've 'talked' to an officer of the law. And I love the choice is Yes or NO RECORD.... Not yes or no
it's asked college and college/ graduate school but only gave me one line for my primary course study- and of course x amount of space for it
Then I got asked me if I was still employed by Staples... Tricky. I said yes but tough call... as I won't be by the time I have an interview with them.
Man some of the spaces to type my answers- too little space. Actually this really bothers me as it's not a question of being concise- it's a question of finding SMALL words that will fit. Sort of a bad crossword puzzle, where your answer won't fit but you KNOW it's right. Like I want to write that one of the worst things about one of my jobs was I worked a late shift and so it was often dead. However that won't fit and can't say 'worked a late shift' because they might get the wrong idea that I don't like working nights so I had to say 'often I was the only one there.' which could me I lacked for co-workers or patrons. I had 9 spaces after the period, but no patrons wouldn't fit... so I'm forced to leave it as is.
I would of course- prefer to apply for BOTH cashier/ supervisor- so that I can get THEM to pick one and say I'm flexible but again it won't let me. I said fuck it and checked supervisor. However this bothers me as I have NO clue if they are even hiring supervisors.... and it bothers me that I've been unable to send them my resume either as a .PDF or give to a person.
and then there are 47 pages of questions where I'm suppose to strongly agree, agree, disagree or strongly disagree as they try to find out what sort of peg I am. It's the same questions as the best buy test I took. I wish I could hack the system to get the 'right' answers. And because they want your gut feelings on this stuff you can't go back. nertz.
I think some of the questions are repeated to catch me in my lies. double nertz
I really feel that talking to a person is a MUCH better way of doing things. I found the inability to list ALL my experience and thoughts to be a big minus. I disliked that it asked me a bunch of arbitrary questions to get at what sort of personality I am... and then re-asked questions to catch me in a lie.
It ended up taking about 2 hours. Though I will admit I put a couple of cds in to listen and I took a mini break to eat some of my spaghetti from lunch... Also had to call a friend as I was using him as a professional reference and wanted to use his gf as a personal reference. However I would've much prefered face time and a chance for someone to see my WHOLE resume, not just my last three jobs.
I dislike the way this country is moving.
faceless automatons.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home