Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Un-fireable

So I talked to a friend who I worked with last night and I talked to her about the fact that I *COULD* get away with a lot of crap without being fired because Staples- being pound wise, penny foolish doesn't like paying unemployment and thus there are all these people getting away with crap and NOT being fired.

My first example and the one that started the ball rolling is that we currently have an employee who called in sick the MAJORITY of September. Now it first should be noted that that is our 'busy season' as that's back to school. So she's calling out- at first it was because her dad was sick/dying but as a week turned into two and three... I started getting peeved. She then started using other excuses- her throat hurt( from calling in) and other stuff. She was not fired, and in fact got her 'wish', she was transferred out of the copy center to the service desk- where she has to do less work and presumably gets the same amount of paycheck ( 50 cents more then me)

The next one is the one I usually share- the pedophile. He was a 30+ year old ass't manager. He was transferred to our store because he had 'problems' at the store before us( so there was at least one strike against him). He offered a 17 year old a drive home, he then made a detour to HIS place and changed in front of her. Corporate found out about this during a witch hunt for another problem- as the Manager had asked the girl to stay quiet, fearing they would come down on him. They did come down on the manager- firing HIM and transferring the Ass't manager to another store. Heck I heard she ended up suing Staples and they settled out of court as the creep admitted what he did( and still wasn't fired).

Then there's Shares-Too-Much-Info... She's an ex drug user and tells people( esp. me) more than I EVER wanted to know about her life. She also works for Fenway Park, so at first on Game Days she would show up late or not at all... not bothering to tell anyone in advance that she had other responsibilities( the red sox game) that day and not to schedule her. One of my 'favorite' stunts of hers... She drove in one Saturday night and parked outside. She then was informed at a quarter to six that her spot was 'valet parking' and she had to move her car. She left, without telling the manager, and drove around Harvard Square for the next HOUR, looking for a spot. P.S. my ass't manager refused to let me to go to dinner til she came back- never mind that we didn't KNOW when she'd be back.

Then there's her 'friend', a guy that was hired who travels in the same circles as Shares-too-much. He has the IQ of a log and the notice skills of the same. Usually when I look up he's turned to the side of the counter and reading a magazine when his eyes should be straight ahead to NOTICE people. He has a bad habit of telling LOTS of people that he burns dvds. I've pointed out that it's illegal, but he hasn't listened. He even felt I should burn a Ass't Manager's software- because as he said " I burn dvds. And if I can burn dvds, you can burn software for him" I pointed out that it was WRONG for him to burn dvds and that it was wrong for me to burn the software.

Oh and the Ass't manager who ordered me to burn software- he's still around and I'm told that he's gonna train the NEXT copy center recruit.

I'm told that my department would get one of the newest recruits... and I rolled my eyes. The new recruit has a habit of going on smoking breaks when a cute boy goes out to get a smoke. Heck she even asked me once to let her out of the store, AFTER I locked the doors and *I* was trying to get things ready so we could leave. She also is one of those people who have a nasty habit of NOT telling anyone when she takes her smoking breaks.

The cow- aka- my supervisor... Well having worked with her for 3 years, I could just go on and on so will forget sentence structure and just keep to some of the current highlights: Like the girl above- she disappears without notice- usually to feed her parking meter, she gets her lunch on company time when policy tells you to clock out first, she pads her hours- often staying late for no reason, I've been told she also often( on a regular basis) comes in late, she leaves her work area a mess- expecting others(me) to clean it up, she often chats up customers- even though there's a line of OTHER customers needing help, and I've seen her yell at customers- belittling them. The manager also knows not to trust her to train people, because she wants to guard her 'trade' secrets and thus make herself irreplaceable.

Yes my supervisor has stopped doing some of her naughty stuff as the last manager cracked down on her( so she like doesn't take lunch on company time AT the copy center), but I'd like to think AT MOST BUSINESSES she'd be fired.

Also a plus to them not daring to fire me- is currently there are only 3 people working in my department INCLUDING me. The store is open 14 hours a day 5 days a week, 12 hours on Saturday and 8 on Sunday- there's no way that two people could cover those hours by themselves. Yes, there are a couple of people trained in copy center- but NONE of them really want to work there/ with the cow.

So while I hope they train a replacement and transfer me... I know that til then I have job security IF I WANT IT. So as I see the problem is not them firing me but my growing burning desire to quit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home