Messages in Bottles

Sunday, October 03, 2004

Josie [and the Pussycats]... gone but not forgotten

Josie and the Pussycats is one of those movies that I avioded like the plauge when it came out- however when I finally saw it I feel truely maddly in love with it.
Yes, it wasn't like the ORGINAL Josie I loved- a quisi scooby doo with GIRLS who shaked their money makers on Saterday Morning... A show where the black girl was all that AND A BAG OF CHIPS. She looked just as good as the white girls but was smarter too.

But the movie... well the movie wasn't about Mystery Solving Chicks and people who "Would've gotten away with it, if it wasn't for meddling kids." What the movie was about was the insidious nature of cross promotion and subliminal advertising and it was FUN-NEE!
My favorite moment was when Josie shows the others that their our subliminal messages in their music... and we hear the "Movie Phone's Guy" voice doing the subliminals. Alexandra, who's just as clueless but has a MUCH smaller role, turns to Josie and says "OH MY GOD! You're sleeping with Movie Phone Guy!"
I LOVED that scene and recently want to relive it so I went in search of the DVD- which is alot harder then I thought it would be.

Now I feel in love with it when it was on Starz.. and it took me awhile to realize I wanted it. This wasn't A HUGE want... but as with most wants of mine it grew. Especially when I started realizing I might not be able to get it. You see I found a box at Tower Records that said "EDITED for family viewing.", and I feared that THIS version wouldn't have the "OH MY GOD! You're sleeping with Movie Phone Guy!" line. So I started looking for an UNEDITED version. I found out there was a PG-13 and PG version. I asked freinds on line which would be 'more adult' and ended up being told that the PG-13 was 5 bucks at Wal Mart- a place I won't ever shop. But Nobody could tell me what was what. I figured that PG was better then PG-13... but found it odd that they had the SAME running time.

Finally I bit the bullet and bought a PG Edition from amazon that proclaimed WIDESCREEN and not 'Edited for family viewing", and I figured I was safe. I was wrong. When it came in the mail- it did indeed say "Edited for family viewing" instead of widescreen... So I put it away for a while but Friday night I was down in the dump, having been blown off by two people and decided to check out the movie anyway... and then at the beginning of the movie I saw a screen saying it had been MODIFIED for content and to fit the screen. YES, not only was this a cut down version of the movie( even though it was a PG edit and not PG-13) BUT it was full screen. Ick.


I've contacted Amazon and am trying to return it, as even though it was opened it wasn't what I asked for... BUT I feel I don't want to exchange it because I fear the VERSION of the movie *I* want is gone forever as I've checked Ebay but they ALL seem to have the same running time as the edited version I have 99 min. . That to me is the real reason to return Josie... why let the studio sell me an inferior product- which the studio created to sell to MORE parents and their slack jawed kids instead of to the people who LOVED the original movie.

So this becomes one of several dvds I won't be able to own the VERSION I want. Just like Star Wars( sans Jabba), Blade Runner( WITH the voice over), and Keen Eddie with the orginal music( it pained me that the episode MENTIONING Jimmi Hendrix, didn't have Doors music).

1 Comments:

  • At 10/05/2004 02:59:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You should be able to find the version of Bladerunner you want. My "special edition" version has both cuts of the film: the original version with the voice-over on one side of the disc and the director's cut sans voice-over on the other.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home