Messages in Bottles

Friday, January 07, 2005

Hulk Fun...

On evan's blog, he came up with a list of stupid deaths that he hates. Whenever I think of stupid pointless deaths... I think of Jarella. She's one of those minor characters in a comic that certain reader( like me) instantly care for. She was from this sub atomic universe( back when sub atomic universes weren't common place), and she fell in love with Hulk... or a bit more accurate a Banner Brained Hulk( which was still rare at the telling of this story). Hulk/ Banner is taken away from this world. She appears a couple of more times, even moving to Earth. Jarella dies protecting a kid from a falling building- which I think is a stupid way to die... and have REALLY grown to hate this formulaic way of killing characters. In fact I think that dying from a falling building is a more common death then car accidents in comics.

Anyway- while looking for the proper spelling of her name and making sure I remembered her correctly( I did)- I found this blog. I think I'm amused by the fact that a college student wrote about the perfect french speaking Hulk, then the editors of the Hulk comic having him speak perfect french.
I could easily imagine that the translators were translating the words rather then the ideas. They didn't realize that the hulk was talking in the 3rd person because of his bad grammer and thus didn't INTENTIONLY have him mess up his french.
Of course the other thing to keep in mind- is perhaps Hulk's problem with english is that it's not his NATIVE language. Perhaps he's french and has a problem with english not because he's stupid but just he's not good learning forgien languages.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home