Messages in Bottles

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Religious Left?

I quasi blogged( wrote and then deleted) a blog yesterday morning about going to a wedding. I wrote it because I didn't really want to go because a) my friend, Scott, is whipped and I'm not sure how much he loves this woman and how much he's doing it because his mom's sorta frail and he needs someone to help him when she's gone and b) his best man, Joe, is repugnant and I didn't feel in the mood to be nice to him.
I deleted the blog because I felt I was just whining. I didn't want to go, but I did because I had been invited and I felt it was my duty to show up, smile and congratulate my friend on getting a woman to marry him.

I did indeed end up at the same table as the republican, but that was my own fault. See I met Scott thru Mike and another of Scott's and Mike's mutual friend was a guy called Dave Greenberg. Dave was a fun person BEFORE his marriage... and recently he left the evil shrew he called wife. I wanted to sit with Dave as he's a fun guy.
So I was sitting with Joe, the republican, because he and Dave were sitting at the same table and I wanted to be with Dave.

Joe was tasteless, crude and extremely high matinence for his wife... I asked questions to Dave and his date, being careful not to ask about his kids or his wife... and I messed up a bit. See knowing that Joe was a republican, I decided unlike Mike, who had argued with Joe at the bachelor party... that I was NOT going to talk politics.
This was put to the test when Dave's gf mentioned that she had NETFLIX. I suggested that she look into another dvd rental service, as Netflix has recently teamed up with Walmart... and I don't like Walmart. And then Joe's wife just casted the reel and asked me if Wal Mart REALLY edits movies.

As I think I've mentioned here before I'm really against censorship in any and all forms. In grad school I did a paper about internet blockers and had a real argument with my father about it. So I told the table that I'm against censorship, and abit about my last blog here... about how the religious right is indeed editing movies against the law. I was careful to mention that I wasn't sure IF Wal Mart took part in this practice... but a) I'm against editing movies, esp. as these religious nuts don't have the permission of either the studio or the director and b) I'm not sure if Wal Mart practices this but I do know of other scummy things they do.

Joe gets angry and points out that he's against the religious LEFT as well as the religious right. And I'm like huh? Religious right?
Which I'm sure plays into his hand as for most of the event, I've ignored Joe as I felt that was the best way to enjoy the event. But I had never heard of the religious left... because I don't think such a thing exists.
Yes, John Kerry is religious but I don't consider Kerry an extreme leftist. Heck because of his religion he's a moderate- Kerry is against gay marriage and abortion because of HIS religion.
Joe goes on to explain that he's against MUSLIMS as well as Christians, that there are all these horrid Muslims. Now I think this has sooo many levels of irony... I will start with the second irony, which is while I mentioned the Christian nut jobs IN THIS COUNTRY, he talks about general Muslim bad deeds in OTHER countries... mentioning the killing of Van Gogh and beheadings. He gets an Amen! from his wife. I thought the third level of irony was he's Italian, as is the groom, at an Irish bar, as is his wife, and while he complains about Muslims and Christians... He doesn't bring the Jews into it... which me and Dave are( and yes there are religious Jew nut jobs...)
I then decide to change the conversation by asking "hey how about that local sports team?" as I while I had fell for the bait and let Joe rant, I decided I didn't want to get into an argument with Joe- esp. as I know that I'm a loud person and I often forget the volume control when I get angry.

However the first level of irony I felt about his statement 'religious left' and then identifying said religious left as Muslim fundamentalists. See the Muslims are left wings themselves... even if they don't vote for W. and think W. is the devil... If you were to go point by point on W.'s republican platform, they'd agree with it more then they would say Dean's.
Or to put it another way... Hitler and Stalin hated each other. They both were insane evil dictators, nevermind that one called himself socialist and the other communist. They hated each other because they both wanted Poland, Hungry and Russia; but they were both from the same part of the political spectrum.
And that's how I feel about both the Christian and Muslim extremists. It's not enough for them to be morally upstanding members of the community but they must make EVERYONE follow their severe religious rules. And yes I have problems with the Orthodox Jews- I remember reading this story years ago about a woman wanting a divorce from her husband and how the community had a double standard for treating her and him. It's just the Jewish nut jobs don't try to get anyone but fellow Jews to come to THEIR way of thinking.
I think all fundies are on the same side of the fence... the right. And if you asked them a bunch of questions about women's rights, gays and rights of 'other' religions ( without naming said religion) that Muslim, Christian and Orthodox Jews have more in common then either would admit.

And that's why I changed the subject. Because like Joe, I'm against all religious zelots... but unlike Joe I feel that all religious zelots are right wingers and I really didn't want to get into an argument about what was 'right wing' and what was 'left wing' it was enough for me that we all agreed religious nuts- were nuts.

And that the godfather was a good movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home