Messages in Bottles

Friday, May 20, 2005

B'day Dad

Just wanted to mention that I got a call from my dad today- while I decided to steer the conversation AWAY from my job search as a) I didn't want to talk about that and b) I wanted to learn a bit about my great uncle. See I read another person's(Kel the Kanadain) blog about his dislike of unions and I knew my great uncle was a union man. However because Harris is a common last name and his first name( like mine, my father's and my elder brother) is also very common- I couldn't find info about him.
Heck I thought it was funny that the most hits I got for Micheal Harris, my great uncle's name, was for an Ontario Premier whom I later found out that Kel voted for twice( I hope both wasn't in the same election.)

Anyway, just as I was about about hang up my dad asked me about my 'upcoming birthday' which warmed my heart. I was wondering if he would remember this year... And in fact I think I was sorta hoping to rip him a new one for forgetting.

... And yes I know that for me to imply that Kel or Evan would forget the birthdays of their sons would be insulting, but my father has forgotten my birthday.

A few years ago he called me on my b'day and told me that he was calling because my mother REMINDED him it was my birthday. I was a bit put off... and felt that he could've left off the last bit. He however dug his grave more the same year by reminding me of Pete's, my younger brother, birthday and telling me to send him a card or something.
I wrote my dad a very scathing physical letter( as opposed to email) to make sure he knew that I didn't like being reminded of Pete's birthday as neither he or Pete seemed to remember MY birthday.
My younger brother's birthday has been one of the easiest birthdays to remember because a) I was alive for it. I mean I wasn't IN THE HOSPITAL but I was alive and remember him as a baby and b) it's on the other end of the Gemini thing. Balance.
But while I get( and give) my elder brother a phone call for our birthdays- I usually get nothing from my younger brother.
So my dad reminding me of Pete's birthday just seemed to remind me who the favored one is... esp. as my older brother has also learnt to deal with my father forgetting HIS birthday.

A month or so ago my dad complained about me missing HIS birthday... which I was glad to remember clearly that he was wrong. Growing up my father usually was at Sales Conferences for his birthday, so it took me a while to remember it. However since the invention of the internet- and his getting a personal account... I've made it a habit of sending him a 'naughty' e-card on the day of his birth. So I remember sending his e-card last year as I sent Adam( who used to work in porn) to the web site... and Adam complaining about how degrading he felt the site was. As Adam worked in porn, he has a higher understanding of porn imagery.

So my dad remembered my b'day this year... and I wanted to blog about it because it doesn't happen every year. While typing this, I realize that it was a win-win situation... if he remembered, I feel good because he remembered; though I noticed that he didn't mention the actual DATE of my b'day just that he knew it was soon. IF he had forgotten... then I would've ripped him a new one on Monday. Either way I won.

2 Comments:

  • At 5/21/2005 01:04:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Happy birthday Drew!

     
  • At 5/24/2005 10:50:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    Thanx evan...

    as said loved the shirt.

    Oh and thought it was funny, my father emailed me on MONDAY to ask me about my amazon wish list.... seems he couldn't find it.

    My older brother has said several times that it doesn't bother him that my dad forgets his birthday... and I agree it doesn't bother me anymore but I do find it a tad amusing, esp. as it re-affirms how self centered my dad is.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home