Messages in Bottles

Sunday, August 21, 2005

Computer Woes.... part 1 zillion.

Ok, I have a confession to make.... if I haven't made it already.

Computers HATE me.

I don't why, but they do. You might think that computers are inanimate objects that run on electricity... but they run on HATE and Murphy's Law.

This past week my computer refused to boot up. It froze up constantly during boot up. I have Norton's Go Back, but that just meant it sometimes froze during Go Back's effort to restore the computer from a previous version. So I had to go several times to the Public Library to check my yahoo mail, esp. as I ended up getting an interview this week( for a health club), as I tried to get things to work.
On Friday, I decided that this was a hardware problem, as I felt it was the hard drive that was freezing up and thus I should call the computer manufacturer to find an authorized repair place to bring the computer. They however suggested re-installing the hard drive first....
This meant losing all the info on my computer since my last back up (March).

So far this 'nuking' of my hard drive seems to have worked. I haven't replaced everything yet- no games on the computer and I need to go to the computer manufacturer website because I don't have ALL of their software back on my computer... like the software for my dvd player. I also need to call my isp, see I had to download the NEW Netscape ( 8 point something) and I don’t know how to get it’s setting straight.
Yeah things are ‘ok’ so far if you don’t count all of the stuff I have to re-install.
And not sure if I have a back up of my address book… so Evan when you read this- if you could please email me your addresses ( and adam’s) I’d appreciate it.

I also have to figure out how to download stuff that doesn't go in the desktop, as that seems the default in the new Netscape.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home