Messages in Bottles

Sunday, September 11, 2005

You get what you bring.

I spent a long two days with my family and I spoke to my dad about how I had read Fast Food Nation and thus hadn’t eaten at a Burger King, Wendy’s, or McDonalds since I finished it. My father was happy and was glad I understood what this junk was doing to my body and how fries were ‘empty calories’. I looked at him and I told him that I didn’t really remember the dietary part of the book; I came away from the book with a better understanding of the socio-economic repercussions of the fast food companies, and that the meat packing segments made me very glad that I wasn’t eating beef.
He told me how shocked he was that I didn’t come away from the book with a better grasp of what the food was doing to me/ the public.

I told him that I found the socio-economic stuff more interesting then the nutritious value of a happy meal, and so that’s what I came away with. For a guy who told me as a kid to try and see all sides of an issue… my dad only seems to see one side. I came away from Fast Food Nation the tidbits I found interesting- and he came away from the book with the stuff he enjoyed. It’s like my intro to philosophy teacher told us, if you drive through a town hungry, you’re going to see a different street then if you drive down the same street and you need gas for your car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home