Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Not Best Impression

I had the interview with Best Buy today...

And they didn't make a good impression.

Yesterday, I was told to be PROMT. And to be there ON TIME.

No problem, says I. I believe in being someplace on time. When I tell someone I’ll be there by X, I’m darn well there by X.

So I’m there about 5 min. early… and I’ve missed lunch…See I sprung for take out Chinese this morning (before noon) and brought it home. They messed up the order and I didn’t have enough time to go there, get my food, come back and eat it… So I just missed lunch to be there on time.
So I don’t think it’s too hard to imagine my annoyance that they kept me wait a ½ hour for my interview. At no point did they give me an update, that I someone would be there in x time. But I stayed because of conditioning and because of the inner voice saying ‘it can’t be much longer’.
Then once I got the interview, the interviewer seems to have no clue what’s going on… so neither do I. I filled out the online forms for FULL TIME in either the video/games sections or merchandising. I’m asked on the phone if I know computers- thinking I’m being asked to work the computer SELLING section. So I’m surprised that the interviewer, who is not the person I spoke with on the phone, tells me he’s ready to interview me for GEEK SQUAD. Geek Squad is their computer repair section. I tell the guy while I feel ok helping to trouble shoot a basic computer, when I need to install a video card I ask a friend for help. He then messed around with his papers and sent the Geek Squad person away. At two different times he went off to find a department lead to help interview me, the second time he returned with someone from merchandising, one of the top two departments I wanted to work with. I talked to the merchandising lead for about five min. and felt much better with the main interviewer.

The main interviewer seemed to often be looking for notes and stuff to do. He also says that the positions he has are PART TIME, which I thought was a total shell game. Likewise I thought it was odd that he asked me if I bowled. He mentioned that the ‘team’ liked to bowl and ‘hang’ and all I can think about is 40 Year Old Virgin which I saw yesterday. 40 Year Old takes place in a Best Buy- though of course not called Best Buy because of the dysfuctionality of the team. Besides the aforementioned virgin, you have a female manager that wants to be his f*** buddy, a merchandise manager who hires a gal so that she’ll f*** another co-worker, and another worker who puts dawn of the dead on the tvs when the manager’s not watching. They also play poker in the store, even thought it’s against the company by-laws. The interviewer says yeah exactly. I roll my eyes. I just can’t believe I’m asking to ‘hang out’ with others in the interview. I guess they’re afraid of hiring a loner psycho.

At the end the interviewer asked me if I had any questions and I asked, ‘what job did I just interview for?’. He just smiled and told me that I’d be hearing from Best Buy soon, for another interview.

I really felt WTF? I mean I’d take the job if they offered but I’d much rather have the corporate librarian job I interviewed for on Monday. I just wasn’t impressed by Best Buy. Especially as my friend suggested that perhaps they kept me waiting to test IF I would wait, I told them it just showed me that they didn’t have their crap together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home