Messages in Bottles

Thursday, October 20, 2005

Karma

Ever since My name is Earl started, I've thought a bit more about karma. In fact I had a rather interesting talk with a friend of mine at the game store last night.

She still, sadly, works at Staples, mostly in the money room. The money room has pros and cons, namely she still has to deal people's stupid mistakes(con) but she doesn't have to have as much face time with them( pro). For example, the cow got the store manager to pay out of petty cash for one of her parking tickets. My friend threatened to call corporate about this as she felt strongly that the store shouldn't be paying for the cow to drive to work.

Well one of the mistakes she’s had to deal with is cashiers forgetting to give back cash cards to customers. Like many chains, if someone doesn’t have a receipt for a return Staples gives cash cards- which work like cash BUT must be spent at Staples. Now my friend felt that a) Staples Inc. shouldn’t get this money as they make quite enough B) She shouldn’t take them for herself because she felt squishy about the morality, but she had no problem giving them to me.
I had no problem taking these cards. While I agree with a) and my b) is that the cashiers shouldn’t profit by not giving the cards back; I had no problem taking the cards… because I feel that Staples Inc. treated me like crap and thus owes me.

However I felt there was an extra dollop of karma or irony here, as she brought up the cards, and gave them to me, AFTER I let her use my discount at the game store to buy some paint. I joked that her husband better be willing to use his discount at Best Buy for me sometime soon, as I keep giving her discounts and we both know she can’t give me HER discount at Staples[ as Staples doesn’t give employees discounts]. And that’s when she whipped out the cards which had more then $23 bucks on them[ one had $21 all by itself]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home