Customer Satisfaction.
In grad school my advisor had a pet project of ‘patron satisfaction’. It was important to him to study libraries and find out if the librarians were doing their job by find out customer satisfaction. As I come from a retail background, I knew a fact that I don’t think he had realized. I could spend an hour helping a patron and they could still not be satisfied. It might be because the library didn’t have the book they REALLY needed or it could be that the information found in said books doesn’t jib with what they FEEL should be in the books- but never the less after bending over backwards for the patron, the patron will end up leaving unhappy even if the librarian has gone above and beyond the call of duty for them.
That’s how I felt on Thursday. Granted I have had a couple of days to calm down, but I still feel the need to post about this… because I TRIED to leave retail because I’ve grown to hate customers. I was taking care of two people, I had two co workers and neither of my co-workers helped me for about 5 min. I realize in hind sight that I got stuck in a grove with one customer- I wanted to ring up a shirt in a specific size, said shirt didn’t have a bar code and I couldn’t find it on the computer. Now maybe if they had handled the second person faster I would’ve just scanned another shirt and say f’ inventory sooner but they didn’t. The other person was looking for something they had lost. I told them it was right there, I then noticed it had been moved… and told them to go to lost and found at the info desk, as a 3rd person had found it and said they’d bring it to lost and found after a couple of min. Now since I was helping the first person, and my two co workers weren’t helping anyone, the second person got annoyed that I wasn’t helping them… even though I had told them a) their object had been found and b) it was at the lost and found. What was worse was my co-workers then started questioning ME about things, trying to figure out what was happening. I told them I’d appreciate it if one of them started ringing, as a line had formed, and everything was ok. They didn’t find this acceptable… so they continued questioning me. They then had an ‘intervention’ for me, telling me that the customer was unhappy and I was rude to them. I almost lost it with the two of them. BUT I didn’t. Instead I went downstairs to re-stock and let out a primal scream in the stock room( which I was lucky and was empty). Just because the customer thought I was rude, doesn’t mean I was… Just because my two idiot co-workers thought I didn’t do my job right, doesn’t mean they both don’t have their heads up their butts.
The only stupid thing I think I did in the above was to tell an ass’t manager about this. I told her this not to get them in trouble but to vent. She then quisi confronted them about this… and I thus need to relearn not to trust everyone with everything… that perhaps since she is a manager I shouldn’t tell her everything… though I do like her in a friendly sort of way.
That’s how I felt on Thursday. Granted I have had a couple of days to calm down, but I still feel the need to post about this… because I TRIED to leave retail because I’ve grown to hate customers. I was taking care of two people, I had two co workers and neither of my co-workers helped me for about 5 min. I realize in hind sight that I got stuck in a grove with one customer- I wanted to ring up a shirt in a specific size, said shirt didn’t have a bar code and I couldn’t find it on the computer. Now maybe if they had handled the second person faster I would’ve just scanned another shirt and say f’ inventory sooner but they didn’t. The other person was looking for something they had lost. I told them it was right there, I then noticed it had been moved… and told them to go to lost and found at the info desk, as a 3rd person had found it and said they’d bring it to lost and found after a couple of min. Now since I was helping the first person, and my two co workers weren’t helping anyone, the second person got annoyed that I wasn’t helping them… even though I had told them a) their object had been found and b) it was at the lost and found. What was worse was my co-workers then started questioning ME about things, trying to figure out what was happening. I told them I’d appreciate it if one of them started ringing, as a line had formed, and everything was ok. They didn’t find this acceptable… so they continued questioning me. They then had an ‘intervention’ for me, telling me that the customer was unhappy and I was rude to them. I almost lost it with the two of them. BUT I didn’t. Instead I went downstairs to re-stock and let out a primal scream in the stock room( which I was lucky and was empty). Just because the customer thought I was rude, doesn’t mean I was… Just because my two idiot co-workers thought I didn’t do my job right, doesn’t mean they both don’t have their heads up their butts.
The only stupid thing I think I did in the above was to tell an ass’t manager about this. I told her this not to get them in trouble but to vent. She then quisi confronted them about this… and I thus need to relearn not to trust everyone with everything… that perhaps since she is a manager I shouldn’t tell her everything… though I do like her in a friendly sort of way.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home