Messages in Bottles

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Worst of both worlds.

I just can't win.

So I sent my mom an "explanation" of my WISH list, from the fact that a) it's been arround for like ages; b) since it's been arround a while, I don't expect everything on the list; c) most of the stuff on my list is LOW price points... so like my friends can buy them.
The third part was important to me as I REALLY didn't like her calling me greedy.

I then went on to give her a mini list of 5 things- telling her she could buy as many or as little as SHE wanted. I know she doesn't like buying me dvds... so I put 3 books- two non fiction, one cd box set( the most expensive item) and a dvd set- because I want JLU.

She responseds that she'd RATHER team up with my dad( and possibly me) to get me the XBOX 360. That a) she thinks I deserve it and b) she'd rather give me the Xbox then ANOTHER dvd.

Nevermind that a) dvds cost less... and b) as said I made sure to front load books, and only had the MOST wanted dvd.

I just can't deal. I've decided to tell her 'whatever'. And that if she wants to bring my dad in on it- fine... but I'm not contributing. Because see if I spend everything I have on the xbox 360- then it'll be a glorified dvd player until I can afford a game. Better to not have it, then to have it taunt me because I need to have games.

And the games cost more then the f'ing dvds she doesn't want to buy me.


This leads into "worst of both worlds". See one of my punk ass co workers felt that I had the "best of both worlds" because I celebrate X-mas AND Channuka. I wanted to slam his ass into the ground. I tried to explain that X-mas had a mental cost, which sometimes I feel outweigh the monotary value of my gifts. Like for instance, since about 10- either my younger bro and/or my father's current wife have gotten gifts better then me... and his second wife made SURE that we could keep track of who got what- as we had to open each gift one at a time IN AGE ORDER, so my older brother would drop out first- followed by me and last kid standing was younger bro... Heck it wasn't until the end when my dad and his second wife started buying lots of gifts for each other... that anyone came close to younger bro's pile...
With his current wife- one of my biggest bones, is they are sooo joined at the hips that he can't leave her alone at the house to pick me up at the train station. Yeah, on x-mas, I take amtrak to the town in Conn. where he has a house and then I gotta hail a cab to take me there.
And yeah- I have imagined the cabbie deciding to rob me and leave in the middle of the woods with the presents... It hasn't happened but that's the sorta imagination I have.

And while my dad's side takes the cake for holiday pain... the fact that Hannuka is all over the place- last year it lasted into 2006, this year it starts on the 15th( sundown) and ends on the 22nd. So because I work retail and am working near "crunch" time... I don't remember the last time I celebrated Hannuka with my mom DURING Hannuka. I know that if it doesn't occur near x-mas, I'm much rather likely to have it 'forced' nearer to x-mas to celebrate it with her.
Heck, I've asked to leave work early during Hannuka at the gift store because we're open late for the "holidays" and there is NO way that I'm working until 10PM, commuting home and THEN lighting my candles... which I would then have to wait an hour for them to melt as a) I buy the good candles and b) the last thing I'd want is for my place to burn down in the night- as little sticks of fire and piles of comics in the same room might be 'bad'- even if they're on opposite sides of said room.

Here's hoping your holidays are better then mine. Me I just try to survive them and hope that I get a good exchange rate on my sanity.

2 Comments:

  • At 12/05/2006 02:19:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    One at a time? IN AGE ORDER?

    What on earth for?

    I've always adored X-Mas, and not for the religious connotations I was taught to embrace as a child nor for the gifts (though those are nice--*smile*), it's the atmosphere that makes me adore it so--the lights and the sounds and the smells (so on and so forth), but after reading this, I can clearly understand why you'd resent it, I would too, and I'd have been right there with you on the wanting to slam your punk ass co-worker into the ground, hell, I'd have helped.

    I'm sorry your holidays aren't going well, Drew, I really am. I hope it turns around and ends up being MUCH better than you're expecting!

    {{{HUGS}}

     
  • At 12/05/2006 04:47:00 PM, Blogger Drew said…

    Wife #2 was UBER anal retentive. We also were occasionally reminded/'ordered' to take a moment and ADMIRE the wrapping( usually on hers).

    That's why I much prefer thanksgiving. My mom cooks, we get to eat as a family and all we have to do is show up, eat and thank her.

    Thanx for the hugs. I hope it all turns out better- and who knows, my older brother MIGHT be bringing his step daughters( what I call the daughters of the gal who's carrying his kids) and it might be nice to have kids arround for the holidays.

    Anyway- good luck getting your tree. I know I enjoyed decorating the tree at my aunt's when I was a kid- and I'm sure cammeron is as well...
    ( again wife #2 anal so doing her tree not so fun)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home