Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Healthcare

Ok... after two calls to the HR department, and a letter from Evan asking what's up. I have an explanation and update.

Basically the state sent me a note saying that I cound no longer get FREE healthcare... That I could 'buy into' their health program... but a) my free ride was OVER and b) they didn't tell me how much it would be. A & B got me all worried as I wasn't sure how much their program was going to cost and how much it would cover.

So I called the gift store's HR department yesterday... I explained to them that even though I hadn't received a raise for quite some time( hint, hint... I've yet to get a raise there), the state was telling me I couldn't get FREE Healthcare, so could I still apply for THEIR health plan?
I didn't hear the answer until after I posted here yesterday, esp. as even though it's a long distance call for me- they never bothered calling me back.
When I talked with someone... They said YES, Yes I could still apply for the gift store health plan IF I fax them a copy of the letter I got from MassHealth. I told them I would do that on Wednesday(today) as I wasn't working yesterday(when I called them). They then asked if I wanted to know HOW MUCH it was going to cost me.
$50 a pay check aka $25 a week.
I figured I should just suck this up, as I'm going to get a better deal from the gift store then I am from the state.

I think it sucks to lose that money but it's better to shell it out now then to pay whopping medical bills when I need to be 'medicated'.

And I say that last part as even with Ambian- I slept until about 5am this morning. I stayed in bed until about 7:30( as I'm working until about 9pm)... but I guess 6 1/2 hours of sleep( 10:30pm to 5 am) is better then nothing.

I also thought it was interesting that when I explained things to my fiscally conservative step-father... On the one hand he's sort of against state handouts but on the other hand- he totally doesn't think I should have to pay for my visit to the emergency room last wednesday. Basically I went there because I was sick and also I expected to get free health care... had I expected to PAY money... I might have tried to go ealier that day to my doctor to beg for help. I just thought it was ironic since his kneejerk response to things is to sue people, that he was on my side even if he thinks the state shouldn't be offering free health care- because in his mind they had OFFERED the free care and then TOOK IT AWAY playing a shell game which is wrong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home