Messages in Bottles

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

April 1st


Yesterday was for the most part a pretty good day. At the start of it- facebook wasn’t working… So I spent a little time on job search, my friend asked me to help out at the gamestore- so got to do a bit of people watching, I went to the gym for a pretty good workout, I took out some trash and did some more job searching on line. I also called my sister in law- as her daughter was 10 yesterday and I wanted to be a good uncle and call her on her birthday( even if she’s not blood of my blood- she’s family)… At about 9pm, I was feeling good about the day and myself, I had figured out how to play superheroes on facebook even if it SAID it was having problems with java.
Then I talked to someone who told me about her April Fool’s day prank. Now while I complained a bit about getting an April Fool power for superheroes… I somehow forgot until my sparring partner brought up her prank… what April First was. See I haven’t done an April Fool’s prank in ages, because years ago my grandfather died on April first.
I felt very bad that I had forgotten my grandfather’s death day….
I’d like to say my ‘sin of omission’ is NOT because I don’t love my grandfather- as I still love both him and my grandmother… but because his death has sort of been replaced by life. I was thinking on his death day NOT about the sadness of his passing, but my new niece’s birthday- as well as my mom’s upcoming 70th( tomorrow) and giving my eldest nephew a vader figure( his 5th was last Thursday).

I miss my grandfather- and I will always miss him and my grandmother- but I really think it’s a good thing that on April first I can now celebrate LIFE and not be depressed because I’m thinking of death. I hope that sounds like I’m not forgetting him- but trying to honor him by celebrating the life of another family member.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home