Disney Movie Rant
Mentioning this as a rant against Disney MOVIES, just in case I ever decide to rant against Walt Disney himself or his corporation of EVIL.
Basically I told a bunch of friends that Mulan, one of the TWO Disney movies, I like is being 're- released' and I wanted the parents to know about this... esp. as I consider Mulan one of the BEST girl friendly toons. Another friend mentioned( in what I felt was deja vu) that for him the BEST Disney movie was Aladdin... Now since I felt it was a case of Deja Vu, and that I had already had this conversation with him and pointed out why Aladdin, and imho most NEW Disney movies suck, I figured instead of boring THAT group of people with my rant- I'd just post it here.
Ok- first the rant I have applies more to the NEW Disney movies from Little Mermaid onwards( which includes ... Aladdin). This after the slump of forgettable movies following the death of Walt.... MOST of these movies are created from child UNFRIENDLY sources- such as Hunchback of Notre Dame, the history of Pocahontas, and Aladdin. These are NOT stories for kids. Hunchback and 1,001 Arabian Nights are great literature and Pocahontas might be an interesting High School lesson reflecting how the Native Americans welcomed the Euros with open arms and were used by said Euros; but these are NOT stories for the under 10 set. Heck I'm prone to mention that the Little Mermaid's story doesn't end well in the original version- BUT most Hollywood studios would be relutent to turn their heroine into sea foam.
So since these stories are created from classics and NOT child friendly sources, Disney has to edit the life out of them. For Aladdin- this means getting rid of his family because he becomes more NOBLE by being an orphan( with a cute monkey sidekick) then a slacker living off his mom's hard work. In fact I 'heard' somewhere that the writers were having a tough time making Aladdin a sympathetic hero. He's not. Then again the genie isn't a stand up comic and the whole '3 wishes' thing never appears in the original story... Aladdin gets as many darn wishes as he wants.
For Hunchback, well the whole story is filled with mean vicious people. The hunchback is not a Happy go lucky 'disabled' person, he's stone deaf because of ringing the bells and he's bitter about being deaf and misshapen.
And Pocahontas- well I also couldn't bring myself to see that one either- but it made me research her- you can find her REAL story HERE.
Heck, they even changed the story of Beauty and the Beast for some reason. I mean that story was more fairy talesque then the other three but Disney decided to get rid of the sisters( even though most of their villains are females) and put Garcon in.
I know they modified Jungle Book, my favorite Disney movie, as well... But I like to think they didn't change it as much as Hunchback, and even the ending remains the same Mowgli becomes a MAN and leaves his friend Baloo for a bit of female companionship.
I just hate Disney totally destroying stories to make them 'child friendly'. The reason that Euro Disney was in the red for MILLIONS of dollars the first year is that they don't care for 'local' customs or ways of doing things. They pave over everything they don't like LONG hair to the fact that they opened up a theme park in France and didn't allow alcohol- even though most French drink MORE then us Americans.
So I dislike them because they try to sugar coat everything so they can make a profit. Heck I think it's totally ironic that they PROTECT their copywrite of Mickey because THEY wouldn't want people to take liberties with Mickey like they did with Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame.
Basically I told a bunch of friends that Mulan, one of the TWO Disney movies, I like is being 're- released' and I wanted the parents to know about this... esp. as I consider Mulan one of the BEST girl friendly toons. Another friend mentioned( in what I felt was deja vu) that for him the BEST Disney movie was Aladdin... Now since I felt it was a case of Deja Vu, and that I had already had this conversation with him and pointed out why Aladdin, and imho most NEW Disney movies suck, I figured instead of boring THAT group of people with my rant- I'd just post it here.
Ok- first the rant I have applies more to the NEW Disney movies from Little Mermaid onwards( which includes ... Aladdin). This after the slump of forgettable movies following the death of Walt.... MOST of these movies are created from child UNFRIENDLY sources- such as Hunchback of Notre Dame, the history of Pocahontas, and Aladdin. These are NOT stories for kids. Hunchback and 1,001 Arabian Nights are great literature and Pocahontas might be an interesting High School lesson reflecting how the Native Americans welcomed the Euros with open arms and were used by said Euros; but these are NOT stories for the under 10 set. Heck I'm prone to mention that the Little Mermaid's story doesn't end well in the original version- BUT most Hollywood studios would be relutent to turn their heroine into sea foam.
So since these stories are created from classics and NOT child friendly sources, Disney has to edit the life out of them. For Aladdin- this means getting rid of his family because he becomes more NOBLE by being an orphan( with a cute monkey sidekick) then a slacker living off his mom's hard work. In fact I 'heard' somewhere that the writers were having a tough time making Aladdin a sympathetic hero. He's not. Then again the genie isn't a stand up comic and the whole '3 wishes' thing never appears in the original story... Aladdin gets as many darn wishes as he wants.
For Hunchback, well the whole story is filled with mean vicious people. The hunchback is not a Happy go lucky 'disabled' person, he's stone deaf because of ringing the bells and he's bitter about being deaf and misshapen.
And Pocahontas- well I also couldn't bring myself to see that one either- but it made me research her- you can find her REAL story HERE.
Heck, they even changed the story of Beauty and the Beast for some reason. I mean that story was more fairy talesque then the other three but Disney decided to get rid of the sisters( even though most of their villains are females) and put Garcon in.
I know they modified Jungle Book, my favorite Disney movie, as well... But I like to think they didn't change it as much as Hunchback, and even the ending remains the same Mowgli becomes a MAN and leaves his friend Baloo for a bit of female companionship.
I just hate Disney totally destroying stories to make them 'child friendly'. The reason that Euro Disney was in the red for MILLIONS of dollars the first year is that they don't care for 'local' customs or ways of doing things. They pave over everything they don't like LONG hair to the fact that they opened up a theme park in France and didn't allow alcohol- even though most French drink MORE then us Americans.
So I dislike them because they try to sugar coat everything so they can make a profit. Heck I think it's totally ironic that they PROTECT their copywrite of Mickey because THEY wouldn't want people to take liberties with Mickey like they did with Victor Hugo's Hunchback of Notre Dame.


2 Comments:
At 10/30/2004 11:23:00 PM,
RW said…
I was going to continue to comment here, but I think you may be a maniac.
Anyway, to each his own... I still have faith that the majority of Americans don't want a President who'll sell us out to the UN, France and Germany... and who understand the good that this President is trying to do, at home, and globally.
For those of you who can't see through the sham that is John Kerry, you need a better BS meter.
At 10/31/2004 02:05:00 PM,
Drew said…
RW- WTF?
I don't think I mention Bush or Kerry ONCE in this post. Yes I mentioned the French, but only because Disney- an AMERICAN company tried to do business IN FRANCE and lost millions of dollars because they didn't realize that the French are different then Americans... which I think you'd agree with, being a fraco-phobic republican.
AND as for Germany- well during WWII, YOUR republican party were the appesers. They were the ones who were saying "It's not OUR war, Hitler isn't threatening us."
http://victorian.fortunecity.com/brambles/499/Special_Reports/Springtime/springtime.html
Note that in this article it points out that the Bush Family( W's great grandfather- George Herbert Walker) PROFITED from dealings with Nazis. Talk about being on the wrong side of a war.
Post a Comment
<< Home