Messages in Bottles

Thursday, October 21, 2004

A Victory (of Sorts) against Staples Inc.

Ok... Now as I mentioned- I was sent home 2 Saturdays ago, asked not to come in that Sunday AND then I clocked in for about 20 min last Tuesday as I did a bit of work, talked to the manager and then quit.

Now I spoke to a co-worker and she's a bit of legal eagle about OUR rights, she mentioned that JUST FOR SHOWING UP Staples Inc. is suppose to pay me for 3 hours... so I called Staples today and asked if they had a pay check for me... which they did.

I looked at my check, and smiled because I WON. See not only did I get paid for 3 hours BUT I also got my September bonus.

See Staples rather giving good workers good RAISES every year decided to create a 'bonus' system. Basically the store is given a sales goal every month, and then each department is also given a goal. IF the store makes a 101% of their goal for a month ( and it's NOT 100.68 it has to be 101% as we found out a few months ago) then we get like a dime an hour more... PLUS if you work in a department( like I worked in the copy center) and your department makes 101% of goal- you get another dime an hour.

There are MANY problems with this system- hence my desire just to have a good raise.

The first problem is that say that your goal in year 1, month 5 was $100, and you do 125% of budget- well you get maybe a few bucks HOWEVER in year 2, month 5 your goal instead of $100, is now the $125 you made last year- so you've got to continue to do BETTER and BETTER if you want a bonus... which is a better return for the company then for the workers.
This was especially true for me, as my supervisor doesn't do anything to create NEW business. So the first year, they underprojected and we in the copy center got big bonuses... but the next year, as we do nothing to increase our sales- we get no bonuses.

Then there's the problem that some people are asked to work multiple departments but would only get bonuses for their primary department. Though I guess that could work in your favor.

The main problem I usually had with the bonus- is that as it's called 'bonus' and not salary, it's taxed at a different rate. A HIGHER rate. So if they just gave me a decent raise- I'd get a more steady pay check and would be able to keep more of it.

The last problem- and it's why I think I "won" is that you have to STILL be with the company later when they give the bonus. So even though you work hard in April and earn a bonus- you don't get the money UNLESS you're working there in mid may( 3 weeks later).

So I worked hard in September, esp. as one of my co-workers kept calling in sick. The copy center didn't earn their bonus BUT the store did. Now I was afraid since I had quit last week that I would not get my bonus... However since as mentioned wayyy above ;-) since I clocked in for 20 min., Staples cut me a check for 3 hours... and since they were cutting me a check- I technically worked last week and they thought I was 'still' working for Staples Inc. and gave me a bonus. It's not a lot of money but it made me very happy that I hadn't quit on Saturday when my Ass't manager sent me home as then I wouldn't have gotten my bonus. 8-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home