Messages in Bottles

Thursday, May 05, 2005

Time Travel

Read the below post first-

Ok so for most of my life when I thought of time travel- I thought of going BACK in time to buy like Action Comics #1, video taping and then burning to DVD all the child shows that are sold at comic convention and buying and KEEPING a set of Mego figures( Man I want the Marvel, DC, PotA and Star Trek figs). Perhaps go on a side trip to save Arch Duke Ferdinand or off Prescott Bush( who wouldn't have ANY darn secret service).

However when I read Real Life Comics they had the characters go FORWARD in time( and right now I'm too darn lazy to go thru their archives to find out WHEN it appeared). See they were waiting DESPERATELY for a game to come out- and one of the three roommates suggest they use their time machine to go two weeks into the future to get the game. Another room mate however realizes that it would be better to be CHEAP and go 5 years into the future... That way they can get it cheap in the bargain bin and it would be the best build( often times games bought in the first week are sort of 'buggy'). I thought this was an interesting way of looking at things- or at least a way *I* hadn't thought of.
It got more fun as they then realized that the games they bought wouldn't play well on their current computers. So using the logic of Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure they decide AFTER this adventure they would go back in time so that they would have something NOW- in specific they would go back in time to 1850- deposit some money and it would then be worth enough in (like) 2010 for them to buy a new computer. I could live with this in the comic's logic world... Though to be frank the problem would most likely be that inflation would outstrip interest- i.e. the money would end up being worth the same OR LESS in the future..
However the real fun came when they got home. You see the gamers in Real Life Comics are big on line gamers. SO they realized that they couldn't really play the game til it came out, therefore the ultimate joke was them sending the game publisher a copy of the game- so he would come out with it and they could play it.

This has opened my eyes to the whole time travel puzzle. It's not just a question of 'how can I profit on the past' but ' what cool stuff could I bring back from the future'. Time travel IF it exists makes everything malleable. I mean I could not just buy IBM in 1920... but I could use it in 2020 to buy a KILLER computer and use the computer NOW. Or perhaps I could go to 2008, find the 'best selling fiction' title and then come back to 2005 and 'write' it.

I've often wanted to time travel and type up a good book. Call me lazy but that just seems a darn good way of being assured 'writing' a good book...
AND I got this idea from a comic book( of course) in the origin of Superwoman. A woman from the future comes to the 'past'( our present) to find out who Superwoman was... She tries to get a job as Lois Lane's assistant... So she can be around Lois, whom she believes is the person most likely to be Superwoman. The future girl decides to ace her typing test by producing pages she's already typed in the future of Lois' book... complete with grammar and typos fixed. And since then I figure why bother wasting my time trying to figure out a way for ME to write the great American novel... when I can just travel through time and steal it.
Then again since I don't know how to time travel, maybe it would be easier to write.
*shrug*

(oh and have to mention that of course the future woman turns out to be Superwoman)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home