Emule
Recently I found the REAL reason for emule.
Emule is one of those download programs where you can share pics/music/ and programs. I do NOT suggest that people illegally share stuff ;-)
However for years I've been looking for a song. Marvin I love you, a song that appeared on Dr. Demento which was a love song to Marvin the Paranoid Robot. I loved this song but it didn't appear on any of his compilations cd.
I was talking to a friend and HE was able to find it on emule and mail it to me. I was very happy.
Again I don't suggest breaking the law, but when something's out of print- I think it's some quasi fair use thing. For instance I video taped Batman the Animated series from TV, but when it came out on DVD- I bought it.
Same thing happened with Invader Zim. I know a site that had it available for download until the commercial copies came out and then took the vids down as they wished to support the dvds.
So downloading songs you can't buy on dvd- good.
downloading cds of artists you like- bad.
Emule is one of those download programs where you can share pics/music/ and programs. I do NOT suggest that people illegally share stuff ;-)
However for years I've been looking for a song. Marvin I love you, a song that appeared on Dr. Demento which was a love song to Marvin the Paranoid Robot. I loved this song but it didn't appear on any of his compilations cd.
I was talking to a friend and HE was able to find it on emule and mail it to me. I was very happy.
Again I don't suggest breaking the law, but when something's out of print- I think it's some quasi fair use thing. For instance I video taped Batman the Animated series from TV, but when it came out on DVD- I bought it.
Same thing happened with Invader Zim. I know a site that had it available for download until the commercial copies came out and then took the vids down as they wished to support the dvds.
So downloading songs you can't buy on dvd- good.
downloading cds of artists you like- bad.


2 Comments:
At 4/30/2005 09:40:00 PM,
Anonymous said…
*mental note: must check out emule*
*mental memo: must learn how to download*
I wonder if I have heard marvin! sound vaguely vaguely familiar-but I have not heard demento since they stopped airing him over a decade ago-used to love listening late sunday nights even though I knew I had to get up early for school the next morn-you know, you wouldn't think it, but sunday is a pretty cool day;-)
and I luff marvin (from hitch)-cracked me up-and I just got zimmy too! and that is even due to the graciousness on an unsuspecting friend's part hehehehehehehe
but! I so agree on your salient points-especially about out-of-print stuff-but I have had a tough time acquiring like movies that prohibited here due to lawsuits and niche CD's from overseas, which technically not absoutely out of print, is in narrow circulation
but I just cannot agree upon the non-burnage of CD's edict-remember when they used to sell singles? like for less than $3, even? I am so sick of wasting money on whole albums of garbage (not the band) just for the one, maybe if you are lucky, two decent ditties-and if I didn't trade with others, my collection would be even way less, which also means I would not get to experience many other artists that I would have had to sacrifice having to pick & choose
but you keep sticking up for the little man;-D
- carolyn
At 5/01/2005 10:45:00 PM,
Drew said…
Yeah... I remember staying up in college so I could tape him then I would make a master tape of the NEW songs( as there was just SO many times I wanted to hear fish heads)
Glad you've got Zim. I love him and am happy to own all the eps. On X-mas eve I kept playing the "most horrorible x-mas ever' at the store.
And yeah I can understand not wanting to buy a whole ablum for ONE lousy song( I've been burnt several times because of that). Likewise I do remember 45's ;-) where you could get one song... BUT a) I don't want to PUBLICALLY support your stealing ;-) b) I feel if you like an artist and think they're worth it- you should give them a little something something. and c) I don't know about where YOU are but here in Boston I know a cd place where you can pay like 10 bucks and burn your own darn cd with the music you want.
And the song had marvin finding a tape with a female voice saying "Marvin I love you" and declaring her undying love for him. Marvin then figures out where the tape is and can play it whenever he wants so he can live MISERIBLY ever after.
Post a Comment
<< Home