Messages in Bottles

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Weight Loss

So I’ve blogged a couple of times recently about my diet, and evan seemed to imply he wanted to learn more so doing a review blog- as I think I have blogged over the last few months all the steps to my diet. ( and Aimee has also been supportive of my efforts)
The first step, in my mind, I did not to lose weight but because I read Fast Food Nation. After reading Fast Food Nation, I decided that eating at Wendys, Burger King, et. al. was a bad idea, as these were not companies that I wanted to support. THAT decision I’m sure helped me to lower my caloric intake. I mean I’m sure that those FRIED chicken nuggets, fries and LARGE soda had huge calories in it.
The next step was at my father’s pushing and cajoling, I stopped drinking soda. I drank about a liter a day, which is prolly over 300 empty calories. My parents had often nagged me about my soda intake, but as I don’t drink coffee that’s how I get my caffeine. This time when my dad, and his wife, made their case- I wasn’t working, so I didn’t really need to be mentally awake in the morning. So I took my dad up on his challenge to stop drinking soda for two months.
I think I recently proved that I passed this test with flying colors. About two weeks ago I saw a couple of students and a BUNCH of sodas outside a college. I asked the kids if the soda was free, they said yes and I bent down to take one… And I froze before taking the soda. I was thinking of what soda I wanted, and then I remembered- I don’t drink soda. I did take one- as they were offered and I had bent down to take one… but then after walking around with it for a while I gave the soda can to a friend. And I felt good about this.
The next step was pretty natural after getting rid of the fast food. See I had to replace that fast food with SOMETHING. At first I just bought regular frozen meals, but then one night I was looking at the weight watchers meals… And they looked pretty good. So I bought a few of them. They tasted very good but weren’t very filling, which I felt meant they did their job- as the object of them was to be SMALL servings. So between the less calories of the Weight Watchers meals and getting rid of the empty soda calories, I lost a good amount of weight. I lost about 15 lbs. due to these two things alone. Though it might also have helped that I currently like eating organic breakfast bars- which I found out DOES have caffeine in it- bonus for me.
And thus far the final step was joining the gym. I currently do about 27 min a day of cardio workout- adding about a min. a day. I’ve also started to add weight lifting to my exercise regime- doing 9 different muscle exercises 2 times a week.

All this watching what I eat and exercise has led me to losing about 20 lbs. I haven’t weighed myself ‘officially’ this week so it could be more by now. My official weigh ins are about the same time of the day (10:45 am) usually on a weekly basis (Sundays). 10:45 just was the first time I weighed myself and recorded it- I try to stay at the same time as I’ve noticed that weight fluctuation A LOT during a normal day, so I decided rather then take the LOWEST weight each day (and thus weigh myself like 10x a day), that I would just stick with the random time I started with and weigh myself at that time for my ‘official’ weigh in.
I also want to state that I think it’s interesting that as I lose weight my muscles have become better defined- it’s NOT because of all the weight lifting( as I haven’t done much of that) but because I’m losing a level of fat- so my muscles aren’t surrounded by my fat. So not only has my waist gotten smaller but so has other parts (but not THAT part). So like for example, for a few months I stopped wearing my college ring because my finger was a bit too think… Now it fits no problem.
So again, I’m losing weight and I feel good about it.

Oh and on Thursday, I made sure to go to the gym after work. I was originally going to do weight lifting, but that was before I had the job… So I just did my cardio. I however made sure I went because I felt if I blew it off- saying “I worked today so I’m too tired to go to the gym…” then that would send a very bad precedent. So I went and did my stuff.

4 Comments:

  • At 12/04/2005 10:04:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sounds like a good and fairly easy diet to stick to, Drew. Ya know, I've done Weight Watchers a few times and all but the last time, it was very successful. And you're right, the frozen meals are rather tasty. Have you tried any of their other foods? I've seen them but I've yet to try them.

    At the moment, I'm doing a very half-assed version of the South Beach Diet as that's the one my doctor recommended and I've lost 30 lbs. so far, but I'm sure it'd work a LOT better if I'd just follow the diet without the bits of cheating I add in.

    I still have a bit to go because I was ordered to get my weight under 125 lbs. for health reasons and since your diet sounds good, maybe I'll give it a try. Thanks.

    And again, congrats =)

    Aimee

     
  • At 12/06/2005 02:21:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    wow. both of you are doing well with weight loss--I'm happy and proud

     
  • At 12/07/2005 11:23:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    Wow... 30 lbs. on South Beach sounds *really* good. However a quick look reminds me why it's not for me.
    Don't eat Beef or Ham...
    I eat chicken and a good deal of it. Also I like pasta- though only eat the WW pasta stuff( like their Ziti and the chicken Parm with spagettii)

    The 'breakfast bars' I eat are Clif Bars. I 95% of the time get the Cool Mint Chocolate... and Clif bars are darn organic which makes me feel good about eating them.
    They also sell a more female centric Luna Bar... which I haven't tried but info on them are at-
    http://www.lunabar.com/index_main.cfm
    And no haven't tried the other weight watchers food... I haven't 'officially' joined WW, and I only see their fro food at the supermarket.

     
  • At 12/08/2005 12:39:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah, South Beach is good. I actually lost more weight when I was on Atkins a couple years ago (which I promptly gained back and then some when I went off of it) but the South Beach is actually easier to maintain because there's more flexibility. And I'm more into chicken too which doesn't seem to hinder the diet at all. But if eating the Weight Watchers meals is working for you, I'd definitely keep doing what you're doing. I loved Weight Watchers, it was (and still is) my favorite diet because once you got the program down, it didn't feel like you were on a diet at all. But for some reason, it stopped working for me.

    And thanks for the info on the breakfast bars, they sound interesting, I'll definitely check them out.

    Aimee

     

Post a Comment

<< Home