Messages in Bottles

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Over thinking...

Not sure if I blogged about this, pretty sure I didn't but excuse me if I did....

When I started my job at the gift store I started thinking about where they put me, as they oft put me in Star Wars by myself. I waffled between being happy to work around all the geeky Star Wars stuff. On the one hand, I liked being around the toys (even if I did get tired of the movies), but on the other hand I felt I was out in the boonies as I wasn’t really working with my fellow gift store employees. Of course by the time I realized that I liked working the Star Wars gift store, I got sent to the cart more often then not. There I had a lot of time to think and re evaluate my job postings. I decided I liked, in order, Star Wars- Cart- Main Store. Star Wars was the best because of the toys and the chance to see Clone Wars (I got permission from the manager to open it so we could see something besides the first 3 movies) and interact with the kids. The Cart is the second best, because while it is INCREDIBLY boring- there’s no ‘busy’ work for the managers to ‘find’ for me. You put all the items out in the cart at the beginning of the day and that’s it. Heck, I’ve often wished that Evan was running his rpgs again so I’d have something to think about at the cart. Main Store worst, because the managers find ‘busy’ work for you, and you have to relay messages from the cart and Star Wars to the managers (who oft times are in the basement/receiving).
I blog this because while at the cart, I’ve thought a good deal about the assignments and what they might mean- i.e.- I thought that perhaps being sent to Star Wars was a way to get me out of their hair( at first) or a plum assignment( when I was being sent to the cart). This week as we near the end of renovations for the Main Store- I’m being sent to Star Wars which I take as a good thing now as a) I like it and b) I think it means they trust me not to need them every 10 min. And c) Everyone is complaining about the move to the new store, how much work it is and how annoying the ringers are…. So I like being at Star Wars to opt out of that pain.
So I realize I need to let go of ‘reading into things’ about what placements mean to the managers and just think about where I like to be.

I should add that I got a really good compliment today. I was working in Star Wars and one of the museum people came up to me and the ass’t manager I like( she’s ditzy but nice). He mentioned that he and a bunch of others went to a bar and when the bartender found out they worked at the Star Wars exhibit, the bartender had to share a story… A friend’s kid had visited the exhibit and their parents were about to take a picture of the kid in front of one of the cardboard cutouts when a museum worker said “you can’t take his picture… without this!” and handed the kid one of the lightsabers. The ass’t manager looked at me and she said it had to be me or her as we two are the ones who do that. We looked up the date, and she didn’t work that day- so it must’ve been me. I was happy to hear this story, as I really like putting smiles on kid’s faces- hence my putting lightsabers in their hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home