Messages in Bottles

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Calling In...

Every so often I think of calling in sick to work, usually because like everyone else I'm just tired of the crap at work or just filled with inertia. This past Monday, I told one of my cooler co-workers that I almost called in. I was tired on Monday and just didn’t feel like working. I, however, went in because I knew that this week they were re-molding the store and a lack of man power would really affect things.
See in retail if you’re a man down, usually that affects everyone else because management schedules the minimum amount of people to save money- so if you’re sick, everyone else is picking up the slack. I remember at the tail end of my first retail job getting crap because I just started burning through my sick days as I was tired of the job and not being appreciated there.
I didn’t call in sick to Staples all that often though because even though I hated Staples, I have this ‘work ethic’. People often called in sick at Staples and often times I was the one picking up the slack (as god knows the cow wouldn’t do it). So because I didn’t want to pick up the slack for others… I didn’t want to force others to pick up the slack for me. Also, I would sometimes look at the schedule and make sure that I didn’t call in on a manager I liked. I’m quisi loyal and nice to nice people- so I don’t want to create headaches for good managers.
There’s another reason I didn’t call in to Staples or the gift store this week…. I work at both as part time. So if I call in sick, I don’t get money… That was a pretty good incentive at Staples as I needed the money and they’d often mess around with hours to make me hungry for money. Right now I need money for my Heroclix addiction (new DC set due out Feb. 15th) so that was another reason not to call in on Monday.
I did find it amusing though that the cool co-worker suggested that I do call in as I haven’t called in AT ALL since I started at the gift store (which has been about 2 months). So maybe I’ll think about calling in sick in a couple of weeks- after I get the DC heroclix and build up my bank account again… and do it on a day that the manager isn’t in( like him- don’t like two of the three ass’t managers).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home