TMI
Ok, so right now there are a bunch of things I try not to think about.
I’m not saying I wish I was stupid- I’m saying there are things that happen in the world that I’d be saner not knowing.
Some examples include:
1) Hang Ups. Right now I’d like to think that when I get voice messages with just the phone clicking, I like to think that they are just telemarketers and not the scum who has my phone number
2) Depleted Uranium Weapons- The fact that the U.S. Government has decided to use DUW, which are WMDs in Iraq just messes me up.
3) W’s signing statements. The fact that W. somehow thinks that if he says he’s above the law… He’s above the law. Saying it so, doesn’t make it so… unless you have a cowardly opposition party
4) The deaths of JFK and Paul Wellstone.
Again, I could mention more but I don’t want to burden you the reader with crap I don’t want to think about. I lump Paul Wellstone in with JFK, because a friend of mine is convinced that Wellstone was murdered. I have told him I concede that point, as I really don’t want to open the can of worms by actually surfing the ‘net for conspiracy theories. I’ve read DC’s Big Book of Conspiracies and that was enough for my sanity. I’d rather take my friend’s word that it is POSSIBLE that Wellstone was killed.
Just like I realized that part of the JFK ‘mystery’ has to do more with world views then facts. People believe either about the conspiracy or the one person schools of thought depending on what they consider ‘safer’. If you believe in the one person( Oswald acted alone), that’s because it’s simpler to believe in one lone nut that believe that there are hidden cabals that get to decide who gets to be president…
The other side sleeps better thinking that there must have been a group or groups to take down JFK, because otherwise- a lone nut has the power to change the entire course of history. If the president of the United States isn’t safe from a nut with a guy, how safe is their family?
So I try not to think about JFK, Paul Wellstone or a bunch of other facts I’ve learnt… which I’m not going to list as I don’t want to be blamed for giving dangerous knowledge to others( however feel free to read DC’s big books of Conspiracies and Unexplained to lose a bit of sanity points).
It’s not that I wish to unlearn these facts but I wish these facts didn’t exist. I wish that there weren’t Depleted Uranium Weapons being used in Iraq- not that I didn’t know about their usage. In 1984- there is a compelling argument that to name something allows one to think about it or do it. While I think that is interesting, I disagree. I think the deed comes before the word. The word is created to describe the crap that goes on. For instance, did Cain need to CREATE the word for kill before he killed Abel? I don’t think so; I just think he got mad and wham! There went Abel’s head. Likewise, I think I learnt to poo, eat and sleep without having to understand the words or the consequences of my actions.
Thus it is not that ignorance is bliss- though I do think W. sleeps better at night then I do; I just wish that the world was a nicer place to be so I didn’t have to learn stuff about WMDs, DUW and other acronyms that I won’t mention here.
;-)
I’m not saying I wish I was stupid- I’m saying there are things that happen in the world that I’d be saner not knowing.
Some examples include:
1) Hang Ups. Right now I’d like to think that when I get voice messages with just the phone clicking, I like to think that they are just telemarketers and not the scum who has my phone number
2) Depleted Uranium Weapons- The fact that the U.S. Government has decided to use DUW, which are WMDs in Iraq just messes me up.
3) W’s signing statements. The fact that W. somehow thinks that if he says he’s above the law… He’s above the law. Saying it so, doesn’t make it so… unless you have a cowardly opposition party
4) The deaths of JFK and Paul Wellstone.
Again, I could mention more but I don’t want to burden you the reader with crap I don’t want to think about. I lump Paul Wellstone in with JFK, because a friend of mine is convinced that Wellstone was murdered. I have told him I concede that point, as I really don’t want to open the can of worms by actually surfing the ‘net for conspiracy theories. I’ve read DC’s Big Book of Conspiracies and that was enough for my sanity. I’d rather take my friend’s word that it is POSSIBLE that Wellstone was killed.
Just like I realized that part of the JFK ‘mystery’ has to do more with world views then facts. People believe either about the conspiracy or the one person schools of thought depending on what they consider ‘safer’. If you believe in the one person( Oswald acted alone), that’s because it’s simpler to believe in one lone nut that believe that there are hidden cabals that get to decide who gets to be president…
The other side sleeps better thinking that there must have been a group or groups to take down JFK, because otherwise- a lone nut has the power to change the entire course of history. If the president of the United States isn’t safe from a nut with a guy, how safe is their family?
So I try not to think about JFK, Paul Wellstone or a bunch of other facts I’ve learnt… which I’m not going to list as I don’t want to be blamed for giving dangerous knowledge to others( however feel free to read DC’s big books of Conspiracies and Unexplained to lose a bit of sanity points).
It’s not that I wish to unlearn these facts but I wish these facts didn’t exist. I wish that there weren’t Depleted Uranium Weapons being used in Iraq- not that I didn’t know about their usage. In 1984- there is a compelling argument that to name something allows one to think about it or do it. While I think that is interesting, I disagree. I think the deed comes before the word. The word is created to describe the crap that goes on. For instance, did Cain need to CREATE the word for kill before he killed Abel? I don’t think so; I just think he got mad and wham! There went Abel’s head. Likewise, I think I learnt to poo, eat and sleep without having to understand the words or the consequences of my actions.
Thus it is not that ignorance is bliss- though I do think W. sleeps better at night then I do; I just wish that the world was a nicer place to be so I didn’t have to learn stuff about WMDs, DUW and other acronyms that I won’t mention here.
;-)


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home