Messages in Bottles

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mindfuck

So after getting dressed down by my mom last night, I decided to 'make nice' with my manager today. I put it off until the end of the shift and then I told him as I was leaving that a) I was sorry for making a big deal about things and b) I'd sign his piece of paper.
I explained to him my relutence as while I trusted him, I've had several jobs where management has changed drastically when one manager leaves and another takes over... even though it's the same store with the same staff and 'mission statement'.

He had a smile on his face and pointed out that I must not have REALLY read the letter. I told him I had, that even though I now had 'sick days' I couldn't actually use them... for fear of being fired.

And he pointed out that he had put a different company name on the piece of paper. So this was not the "offical" policy of the company I work at but a ( say it with me) mind fuck. He was trying to pull one over on the stupid kids... of which I seem to be one.

So I've agreed to sign it tomorrow if he prints me a new one. I will MAKE SURE that it does not have the real name of the company on the piece of paper... and that I get a copy.

Not sure if I'll tell HR about the mind fuck. Just know I think I trust him a little less because of this.

And wonder if it matters if I sign it... I mean it's not legally binding if it's not the company I'm working for- right?

Oh and fyi- I still have recieved squat and diddly about my benefits.

3 Comments:

  • At 3/22/2006 01:17:00 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    I should know this as I'm the lucky one who gets to deal with all the employee paperwork, from new employee packets all the way down to disciplinary letters, for my company, but I've never ran into a situation such as yours.

    Though honestly, I wouldn't think that it'd be legally binding unless it's on company letterhead or a form that's generated by the company.

    And I wouldn't trust him either, he sounds like an ass. And as someone who's in charge of employees, I'm thinking that the ass shouldn't be holding any kind of managerial position.

     
  • At 3/24/2006 10:48:00 PM, Blogger Drew said…

    Glad that it isn't legally binding...

    Though I do wonder if he's willing to be tricky... what if this is a double blind, and like the company that OWNS the company we work for is the company on the memo.

    Like Random House owns Del Rey Books through Balentine Books( flow chart Del Rey on bottom, Balentine in the Middle and Random House on top) So he might be saying I work at Del Rey and the paper says Random House without me knowing that Del Rey is OWNED by Random House...

    But whatever. I'm just going to look for a new job.

     
  • At 3/24/2006 11:05:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    That's a good point Drew. Hmm.

    Yeah, I think I'd just look for a new job too. This one has been stressing you out, and I don't know, I've always felt that if a job (etc.) messes with my mental state in any way, it just isn't worth keeping.

    I hope you find one soon (*smile*).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home