Messages in Bottles

Thursday, July 13, 2006

Super Dick...

There's a website called Super Dickery which shows all these Silver Age moments of Superman being... a Super Dick.

There was a moment in Superman Returns that reminded me and a friend of this site.

The Set Up: Superman has come home from Krypton( which apparently took him AGES to get to Earth from but only 5 years for a there and back...), he's hanging out in a field when his dog comes to play. The dog has a baseball in his/her mouth and drops the ball at Superman's feet.

The Dickery: Superman throws the ball darn hard. It goes to near the horizon. Proving the dog is NOT Krypto, the dog looks at the ball, then Supes and then walks away with his/her tail between their legs. I could just see the "Dick!" thought ballon.

The rest of my thoughts I put on Evan's blog... but to review-( spoilers ahead)

I liked the movie, but I didn't LOVE it. The three things( besides the Super Dickery) keeping me from loving it...
1) Is the kid's Supes or NOT? I just really felt they should've resolved this ALOT sooner. I also felt they were guilty of Dickery themselves, when even AFTER the piano I wasn't 100% sure- 'well maybe the piano came loose... did the kid just REALLY kill someone... and lois let it slide?'
2) Enough with the Jesus references. I really was annoyed at how many messiahic images we got. From Father to Son to Son to Father- Ok Father=Son. Jor El sends his ONLY son to Earth to help mankind. Lois tells Supes; we don't need a SAVIOR and Supes response- I hear people ALL the time calling for a savior... because ya know Supes knows when you've been bad or good. Oh and I also liked right after he threw the island off into space, he assumed the 'posistion'- which is to say the arms straight out just like Jesus on the cross. Man, once again Christians took a nice jewish boy and made him THEIRS.
3) Routh's acting. I talked to my friend about this. He defended Routh and I saw his point but at the same time, I gotta say I wish Routh was acting like Supes and not cribbing Reeves preformance... My friend's point was that since this was Superman '3', and Singer was making an attempt to follow in Donner's footsteps he made Routh follow in Reeves' bootsteps. I felt that since ALL of the Batmen( Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney and Bale) all played Bats differently I'd like a different take on Supes. I mean don't get me wrong I liked Routh, I just wished he'd done MORE to make the roll his... Sorta like I loved Spacey and while it was clear his Luthor was made in the mold of Hackman, he made the roll his own.
Actually much of what I liked about the movie had Spacey's fingerprints on it.
"Come on, let me hear you say it, just once..."
Oh and I loved the Krytonite Island. At first I was trying to figure out WHAT they were shaping the K into... Then when I saw the tube I was like WTF? Until I saw him put it ARROUND the crystal... That was kewl.

And I hate to tell Evan, but I'm told there's a three movie story arc... and I figure it'll either revolve arround dead Krypton, but more prolly- the superkid.

4 Comments:

  • At 7/13/2006 08:54:00 AM, Blogger Angie said…

    Drew (mine) said the same thing about Routh paralleling Reeves performance and though he (Drew) insists that he still enjoyed the movie despite that, I'm thinking the fact that he fell asleep somewhere in the middle indicates he wasn't all that impressed with it. LOL.

    And I laughed at your Batman reference because on the way home from the movie, Drew and I had this huge debate going on who played the best Batman, but in the end, we had to agree to disagree.

    Aimee

     
  • At 7/15/2006 08:29:00 AM, Blogger Drew said…

    Yeah, I've had the "which batman is best?" converstation with friends. They seem to prefer Bale, me I liked the Keaton intensity. And that's why I brought the Bats up ;-) because everyone has a favorite Bats but choosing Supes is a no brainer after Returns, if you like Routh- you'll love Reaves...
    ;-)

     
  • At 7/15/2006 05:26:00 PM, Blogger Angie said…

    Keaton is my favorite too! LOL. But Drew, on the other hand, seems to think Val Kilmer played the best Batman and personally, I thought he was the worst!

    Aimee

     
  • At 7/17/2006 10:35:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I'm actually in the Kilmer camp myself. He has an arrogance to him that seems necessary to Bruce Wayne

     

Post a Comment

<< Home