Messages in Bottles

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Blahs

I’m not sure if I’m feeling blah because I’m depressed or because I feel hung over after 1 and ½ beers.
Which is say, I KNOW I’m depressed- I’m just not sure if I’m hung over as well.

Had a bad day yesterday. I think it started on Friday night but I have to start at the beginning. About two weeks or so ago I was told that one of my supervisor’s (L) birthday was Friday and he was having a party yesterday. I asked for the opening shift for yesterday so I could go to the party. I then found out that it was one of my assistant manager’s birthday on Saturday and that she wanted to do something. I told her (S) to keep me in the loop and let me know where and when. She then found out that I doubled booked and the supervisor was having a party. I told her that SHE came first. I did this because I like her a bit more then the supervisor (this is the guy who came up with tpm). I also know that he’d have a bunch of people at his party and she’d need warm bodies for hers… but I didn’t say that- I told her, what I believed to be true that I’d have more fun with her.
S. crapped out- deciding I guess that she’d prefer to wallow with her sidekick ( Sa) then have a real party… so the manager( M) and I went to L’s party together. At this point I feel I should mention that both M and I had to work back to back- closing then opening shifts. I was warned by the scheduler that this was going to happen as I’m one of the few ADULTS on staff, and thus she needed me to close on Friday night.
That brings me to my first grr. On Friday night some of the ‘kids’ were talking about tornados and I started singing “Gloria. G-L-O-R-I-A!” In honor of Hurricane Gloria that hit New England in ’85. All the people save my manager looked at me funny. See I was in college for Gloria, he was in High School… and the rest of my co-workers HADN’T BEEN BORN YET.
I found that depressing. Esp. as one of them was a supervisor- Sa. So I have a boss who wasn’t born when I was in college.
That depressed me as I went home… I then had a horrid time getting to work on Saturday as I kept forgetting things( like my badge- which I decided not to come back for). So I get there Saturday, sans badge… which becomes a pain in the ass- as I can’t go to the stock room for more boomerangs… and have to ask a co-worker to come with me to lunch to make sure I get my discount… and they almost didn’t give it to me, so it was a good thing I had him- even I had to lend him a dollar to help. Which when I think about it means that instead of giving food service my dollar, I gave it to my co-worker.
Anyway, Saturday long boring day at work- followed by a drive with my manager to the supervisor’s birthday party. During said ride, he talked about how he wished that S was going to the party… I agreed. I left unsaid that I thought I’d have more fun with S and Sa. then with L. Esp. as I knew that I’d be older then most of the people at L’s party and I’m a bit of a wallflower around people I don’t know/have nothing in common with.
He also mentioned, as we passed a sign for a museum that L wanted our company to ‘take over’ that museum’s store so L could manage it and be closer to home. At this point I felt this was a good opening to try and talk to him about ROM. That’s a museum in Toronto. I was told we were opening a store there and I felt that would be neat-o for me to try and work there, and perhaps get a promotion and hang out with Adj. and Kel… I had cold feet because a) it would mean leaving my friends in Boston and b) I was told by S that a guy we both didn’t like was going to be manager of the ROM project. I got a bit paranoid as I think S likes me( but not in that way, or at least I don’t like her that way) and was trying to make sure I stayed… but after I heard that the dork was being sent somewhere else…. I figured I should ask for the ROM job and that I’d have no better time then in the car with the manager.
Naturally he said no dice. ROM stands for like the Royal Ontario Museum and that being the case, the staff has to be bi-lingual. As the song says- Don’t remember the French I took… so nope not for me.
At the party; I was indeed wallfloweresque. I drank a mere 1 ½ beers, ate some stuff and chit chatted with a few people. M meanwhile had a great time playing beer pong and hung out with these people. He wasn’t ‘bossman’ he just was M. This made me further self conscious and made me wonder if perhaps he promoted L to supervisor because they could hang out better then say M and me.
In the end I was glad I had to leave early. You see L lives in Salem… and the commuter rail’s last train left at 10:30. I had about a ½ hour walk and gave myself like 40 odd minutes for it… as I was slightly drunk and didn’t know Salem. However since all I was doing was drinking and watching people enjoying themselves… I was ok.
But for some reason… my legs turned to putty on my walk through Salem… so I was glad to get home…

As said I woke up today depressed and tired. I really find it odd that often I don’t sleep well after drinking… not always but often, like last night even though I needed it after a mere 6 hours or so Saturday am.

And I wonder what I tell S about the party. I don’t want it to get back to M or L that I was depressed and didn’t have a good time… but at the same time I’m not sure I want to lie to S. I guess I’ll lie a little and just say I’d’ve had more fun if she and Sa were there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home