Answers to Evan
Ok... evan recently took me to task for not finishing his darn questions... so hear they are....
But first the usual disclaimer- I'm answering Evan's 5 questions. If I haven't interviewed you this go round( which I think started in like June) feel free to comment to this blog by asking me to ask you five questions. I call 'tag back' which means after you answer my five questions I'm gonna ask you to ask me 5 and 'no backsies' meaning we don't keep going back and forth asking 5 questions. I don't mind bringing this meme back in a few months( or a year) but not a constant back and forth...
So with that out of the way- evan's questions and my answers:
1. You recently blogged about personal themesongs. In your blog, you quote a song from Sesame Street but you never actually say what you think your theme song might be. So, if I were to ask you to choose one song to be your theme song, what would it be?
Oh… that’s a tough one alright. See when I posted that I made sure that I didn’t get SPECIFIC as I saw the answer in one of two ways… being a Gemini I try to see both sides. The first way, which is the way I really intended to look at “my song”, that there might be a song IN ME, that’s all mine. Sort of like how in Peter and the Wolf- all of the characters are symbolized by a different instrument and together they make the opera… So too did I think that perhaps IN ME there is a song, that is MY SONG. Sort of like everyone has a novel in them waiting to be written.
The other way I saw it- was how you see it- but that also ended up splitting in two- as I wondered if a “theme song” is a song that I love or a song that characterizes ME. For instance, I have oft thought that my life should be scored ala Metropolis the Musical. There is a song called 101.11. In this song the workers sing “Day after day we work on these machines, this what we call life…” Can’t find the cd right now, but you get the idea… an endless mindnumbing job working for the MAN.
If however it becomes, what I’d like in the background… what I’d like to be my BGM and listen to… that’s tougher… but after a good amount of thought… and then finally deciding I had to finish these darn 5 questions and thus semi randomly choosing a song… I decided right now my theme, if I got to choose, would be “Corner of the Sky” from Pippin; as I don’t want to be the cog that I am and want to find MY corner of the sky. It describes me but in a good way…
2. If you had to spend one week as a woman, in what way(s) might you spend that week differently than you would normally?
Hmm. Well, that’s a fine how do you do. I’m first going to assume that I magically got a sex change- and thus I’m now Drusilla and not that I’ve been turned into say Juliet Landau… which would lead to a whole different week( eyebrow waggle).
This is one of those comedy “I’ve learnt something that I didn’t know before...” I was about to say I’d first call in work for the week… but because of that silly slip of paper, if I call in sick for more then 3 days in a row I’d need a doctor’s note. So thus I’d go to work and blow everyone’s mind. I’d try to wear MY badge. And I’d refuse to pay for a new one. I’d then talk to the lesbian at work to be my “partner in crime….” While I don’t think she’d be “my type” even if I was a female, she’s a party girl and I’m told most of her friends have “benefits” so I figured she’d be able to show me the Boston lesbian scene. Plus she could help me shop for new stuff… though judging by her I’d get to keep my boxers( as she and come to think of it, another butch co-worker I had ages ago also wore boxers).
So I think I’d party abit more and let my hair down( though I’d prolly shave most everywhere). I’d dig going to the gym and groving to that new scene.
Oh and I’d have to buy a video cam- so I could “work out” at home. wicked grin. I know that sounds a bit wrong on a couple of levels, but I’m being honest. I’ve taken enough “sexual roles” classes, I’m liberal and I love sciffy… So I think I’d try to explore my new body and keep notes about things.
Though not sure what I’d do if it was permanent. Esp. as that would open the can of worms of do I change my name…
Lastly; I feel I should mention that when I say “explore the body” I firmly mean with girls. To be honest, when I read lesbian erotica- I find it more ‘interesting’ then smut written by guys for guys; and thus have wondered about being a lesbian… but I’d never get that operation, because I like myself; but your magical sex change would interest me.
3. What is your favorite live action movie adapted from a comic book, and why (i.e. no animation or "original" superhero movies like Incredibles or Sky High)?
Ouch. Hobbled before I start, not being allowed to mention Batman’s Mask of the Phantasm… As I rather like the Batman Animated series more then most of the live action movies. One of the reasons( besides trip) that this took so darn long is I wanted to see Superman Returns before weighing in. As you can read from my earlier review- don’t think SR was it. This was one of the tougher questions; but in the end I got it down to Superman- starring Reeves; Batman with Keaton and Spiderman; each the start of their franchise. I then decided on Batman because there were just too many negatives in Superman( the changing time) and Spiderman( really didn’t like the Goblin’s outfit) and for the life of me I can’t think off the top of my head of anything major that detracted me from the joy of the first Batman. Then again I’ve seen Superman and Spiderman a lot more recently- so perhaps if I resaw Keaton I’d be disappointed, but as it stands it’s Keaton; with West’s Batman movie being one of the most amusing comic book movies- I think West’s Batman is way more amusing then Sky High.
4. You've lost a substantial amount of weight this past year; what's been the biggest change in your life as a result?
Sorry, it’s a whole package deal. I can’t put my finger on any one thing because as I lost weight, it snowballed. I eat totally different these days and I think differently about eating, I exercise on a semi regular basis, my mom has pointed out that I needed to buy new clothes as even the clothes that I grew out of are big on me and lastly I look at myself more often. I don’t mean the last part to sound narcissistic, but it’s a fact… last year the only time I looked in a mirror was to shave and I did that quick; now I look at the mirror and check myself out, see how the loss of weight has affected me.
I have pride in the way I look, but I don’t think I can say the pride is the biggest change; because in order to get that pride I’ve had to do a lot and change a lot of my thought process. There’s candy machines at work and I got some Reese’s Pieces because it looked like if I bought one bag, I’d be able to get a second that was hanging on by a thread. So I have two bags of Reese’s, but I haven’t opened them because one of the first things I did after getting them is notice the calorie content… And that’s something I wouldn’t have done even last October, after I had started my diet.
5. We've gone into why Kitty Pryde is my favorite comic book character some months ago--why is she such a favorite character of yours?
X-Men #150. That’s what got me into reading on a regular basis for several years. I had read an issue or two here and there at camp n’ stuff… But I didn’t start subbing to X-Men until I read 150 with the UTTERLY brilliant back and forth with Magneto and Kitty. This wasn’t a SUPER FIGHT where the hero was STRONGER then the bad guy or where the heroine outsmarted the villain into doing what she wanted… The resolution came as Kitty tried to REASON with Mags. In this issue I could also understand why Adj. loves Magneto. Magneto and Kitty were written as 3-dimensional characters. They understood each other not because they were both the “last survivors of a doomed planet” or one of them was the evil twin of the other… Magneto and Kitty had a conversation because besides both being mutants they both were members of another minority group( Kitty being Jewish, Mags a gypsy) and both knew the scorn of others on several different levels.
Kitty stood out from the other X-men under Claremont because most of the others were MUTANTS with one or two other character traits. One of the reasons I hate the X-men is because the difference between them seem pretty simple. If you compare them to say DC’s GLC- Kyle, Guy and Hal seem much more different then Scott, Jean and Warren. Once you take away their powers and one character trait (Scott- a’ hole, jean-bitch, warren- rich) they’re pretty much the same, they have the same dreams and aspirations [bang Jean]… Not so with Kyle, Guy and Hal- who while they all basically want to do good, they all have their own definitions of ‘good’. I say this as Kitty has more traits then most of her fellow X-men even at the beginning. Besides like the rest of the ‘New” X-men being a minority (Jewish), she was also young, hopeful and spunky. Love her spunk and loved “Professor X is a big jerk.” Another great Kitty story.
“Professor X is a big jerk” also made me love Kitty because it showed that she EARNED her position on the X-Men, which to be frank I don’t think many of her “co workers” have done. I’ve never really seen Xavier threaten any of the other members with probation or anything… and sometimes I wish he’d bench Scott, Jean and Wolvie… but he threatened Kitty because he’d started the “kid squad” and realized that Sam was OLDER then Kitty- even though Kitty was on the Adult team and Sam on the Kid team. That was a good comic.
Yes, I think I was drawn to her a bit because she was Jewish (don’t think German Nightcrawler could’ve had the same talk with Mags), but it was her spunk that kept me loving her. She’s smarter then most of the other X-men and is smarts that she can apply to everything not “science smart” like Beast, or tactical smart like… Come to think of it, don’t think any of the X-Men are really tactical smart.
So I like her because Claremont likes her. It’s clear to me that she’s better written then most of her team mates and that’s because Claremont made her out of love. Heck, I’m sure that Claremont made Joss a fan of Kitty’s as on Joss’ X-Men Kitty is still one of the better written characters( and I can’t wait for Kitty to lay the Smack Down on Emma, I just wish Mirage was helping Kitty).
But first the usual disclaimer- I'm answering Evan's 5 questions. If I haven't interviewed you this go round( which I think started in like June) feel free to comment to this blog by asking me to ask you five questions. I call 'tag back' which means after you answer my five questions I'm gonna ask you to ask me 5 and 'no backsies' meaning we don't keep going back and forth asking 5 questions. I don't mind bringing this meme back in a few months( or a year) but not a constant back and forth...
So with that out of the way- evan's questions and my answers:
1. You recently blogged about personal themesongs. In your blog, you quote a song from Sesame Street but you never actually say what you think your theme song might be. So, if I were to ask you to choose one song to be your theme song, what would it be?
Oh… that’s a tough one alright. See when I posted that I made sure that I didn’t get SPECIFIC as I saw the answer in one of two ways… being a Gemini I try to see both sides. The first way, which is the way I really intended to look at “my song”, that there might be a song IN ME, that’s all mine. Sort of like how in Peter and the Wolf- all of the characters are symbolized by a different instrument and together they make the opera… So too did I think that perhaps IN ME there is a song, that is MY SONG. Sort of like everyone has a novel in them waiting to be written.
The other way I saw it- was how you see it- but that also ended up splitting in two- as I wondered if a “theme song” is a song that I love or a song that characterizes ME. For instance, I have oft thought that my life should be scored ala Metropolis the Musical. There is a song called 101.11. In this song the workers sing “Day after day we work on these machines, this what we call life…” Can’t find the cd right now, but you get the idea… an endless mindnumbing job working for the MAN.
If however it becomes, what I’d like in the background… what I’d like to be my BGM and listen to… that’s tougher… but after a good amount of thought… and then finally deciding I had to finish these darn 5 questions and thus semi randomly choosing a song… I decided right now my theme, if I got to choose, would be “Corner of the Sky” from Pippin; as I don’t want to be the cog that I am and want to find MY corner of the sky. It describes me but in a good way…
2. If you had to spend one week as a woman, in what way(s) might you spend that week differently than you would normally?
Hmm. Well, that’s a fine how do you do. I’m first going to assume that I magically got a sex change- and thus I’m now Drusilla and not that I’ve been turned into say Juliet Landau… which would lead to a whole different week( eyebrow waggle).
This is one of those comedy “I’ve learnt something that I didn’t know before...” I was about to say I’d first call in work for the week… but because of that silly slip of paper, if I call in sick for more then 3 days in a row I’d need a doctor’s note. So thus I’d go to work and blow everyone’s mind. I’d try to wear MY badge. And I’d refuse to pay for a new one. I’d then talk to the lesbian at work to be my “partner in crime….” While I don’t think she’d be “my type” even if I was a female, she’s a party girl and I’m told most of her friends have “benefits” so I figured she’d be able to show me the Boston lesbian scene. Plus she could help me shop for new stuff… though judging by her I’d get to keep my boxers( as she and come to think of it, another butch co-worker I had ages ago also wore boxers).
So I think I’d party abit more and let my hair down( though I’d prolly shave most everywhere). I’d dig going to the gym and groving to that new scene.
Oh and I’d have to buy a video cam- so I could “work out” at home. wicked grin. I know that sounds a bit wrong on a couple of levels, but I’m being honest. I’ve taken enough “sexual roles” classes, I’m liberal and I love sciffy… So I think I’d try to explore my new body and keep notes about things.
Though not sure what I’d do if it was permanent. Esp. as that would open the can of worms of do I change my name…
Lastly; I feel I should mention that when I say “explore the body” I firmly mean with girls. To be honest, when I read lesbian erotica- I find it more ‘interesting’ then smut written by guys for guys; and thus have wondered about being a lesbian… but I’d never get that operation, because I like myself; but your magical sex change would interest me.
3. What is your favorite live action movie adapted from a comic book, and why (i.e. no animation or "original" superhero movies like Incredibles or Sky High)?
Ouch. Hobbled before I start, not being allowed to mention Batman’s Mask of the Phantasm… As I rather like the Batman Animated series more then most of the live action movies. One of the reasons( besides trip) that this took so darn long is I wanted to see Superman Returns before weighing in. As you can read from my earlier review- don’t think SR was it. This was one of the tougher questions; but in the end I got it down to Superman- starring Reeves; Batman with Keaton and Spiderman; each the start of their franchise. I then decided on Batman because there were just too many negatives in Superman( the changing time) and Spiderman( really didn’t like the Goblin’s outfit) and for the life of me I can’t think off the top of my head of anything major that detracted me from the joy of the first Batman. Then again I’ve seen Superman and Spiderman a lot more recently- so perhaps if I resaw Keaton I’d be disappointed, but as it stands it’s Keaton; with West’s Batman movie being one of the most amusing comic book movies- I think West’s Batman is way more amusing then Sky High.
4. You've lost a substantial amount of weight this past year; what's been the biggest change in your life as a result?
Sorry, it’s a whole package deal. I can’t put my finger on any one thing because as I lost weight, it snowballed. I eat totally different these days and I think differently about eating, I exercise on a semi regular basis, my mom has pointed out that I needed to buy new clothes as even the clothes that I grew out of are big on me and lastly I look at myself more often. I don’t mean the last part to sound narcissistic, but it’s a fact… last year the only time I looked in a mirror was to shave and I did that quick; now I look at the mirror and check myself out, see how the loss of weight has affected me.
I have pride in the way I look, but I don’t think I can say the pride is the biggest change; because in order to get that pride I’ve had to do a lot and change a lot of my thought process. There’s candy machines at work and I got some Reese’s Pieces because it looked like if I bought one bag, I’d be able to get a second that was hanging on by a thread. So I have two bags of Reese’s, but I haven’t opened them because one of the first things I did after getting them is notice the calorie content… And that’s something I wouldn’t have done even last October, after I had started my diet.
5. We've gone into why Kitty Pryde is my favorite comic book character some months ago--why is she such a favorite character of yours?
X-Men #150. That’s what got me into reading on a regular basis for several years. I had read an issue or two here and there at camp n’ stuff… But I didn’t start subbing to X-Men until I read 150 with the UTTERLY brilliant back and forth with Magneto and Kitty. This wasn’t a SUPER FIGHT where the hero was STRONGER then the bad guy or where the heroine outsmarted the villain into doing what she wanted… The resolution came as Kitty tried to REASON with Mags. In this issue I could also understand why Adj. loves Magneto. Magneto and Kitty were written as 3-dimensional characters. They understood each other not because they were both the “last survivors of a doomed planet” or one of them was the evil twin of the other… Magneto and Kitty had a conversation because besides both being mutants they both were members of another minority group( Kitty being Jewish, Mags a gypsy) and both knew the scorn of others on several different levels.
Kitty stood out from the other X-men under Claremont because most of the others were MUTANTS with one or two other character traits. One of the reasons I hate the X-men is because the difference between them seem pretty simple. If you compare them to say DC’s GLC- Kyle, Guy and Hal seem much more different then Scott, Jean and Warren. Once you take away their powers and one character trait (Scott- a’ hole, jean-bitch, warren- rich) they’re pretty much the same, they have the same dreams and aspirations [bang Jean]… Not so with Kyle, Guy and Hal- who while they all basically want to do good, they all have their own definitions of ‘good’. I say this as Kitty has more traits then most of her fellow X-men even at the beginning. Besides like the rest of the ‘New” X-men being a minority (Jewish), she was also young, hopeful and spunky. Love her spunk and loved “Professor X is a big jerk.” Another great Kitty story.
“Professor X is a big jerk” also made me love Kitty because it showed that she EARNED her position on the X-Men, which to be frank I don’t think many of her “co workers” have done. I’ve never really seen Xavier threaten any of the other members with probation or anything… and sometimes I wish he’d bench Scott, Jean and Wolvie… but he threatened Kitty because he’d started the “kid squad” and realized that Sam was OLDER then Kitty- even though Kitty was on the Adult team and Sam on the Kid team. That was a good comic.
Yes, I think I was drawn to her a bit because she was Jewish (don’t think German Nightcrawler could’ve had the same talk with Mags), but it was her spunk that kept me loving her. She’s smarter then most of the other X-men and is smarts that she can apply to everything not “science smart” like Beast, or tactical smart like… Come to think of it, don’t think any of the X-Men are really tactical smart.
So I like her because Claremont likes her. It’s clear to me that she’s better written then most of her team mates and that’s because Claremont made her out of love. Heck, I’m sure that Claremont made Joss a fan of Kitty’s as on Joss’ X-Men Kitty is still one of the better written characters( and I can’t wait for Kitty to lay the Smack Down on Emma, I just wish Mirage was helping Kitty).


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home