Messages in Bottles

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Did I mention My life sucks?


I hate my life. All caps. Bold. Italics. Biggest font that you can choose. In a blood red color.

Why does this day suck more then others? Well yesterday La came back from London. She was there to do research for her doctorate. I missed her because of ALL my current managers- she’s the only one I like; and currently trust. So I was happy that she was back. I saw her at 1 pm, and she was closing with me which I thought was cool. However the first words out of her mouth were … “Have you heard the news?” Oh boy, none of us had heard the news, because I think I’ve mentioned the Manager has problems with communications. It seems while she was in England, she gave notice. So Sunday is her last day, as while she’s anal she gave two weeks notice- one of those week being her in London.
That’s Major badness Number One.

The next happened on Thursday night. It was a very busy day… So the kids were loud and numerous. I, as is my case, tried to get through the lines in a quick but efficient manner. I noticed at one point that one of the guardians was giving me the evil eye and asked me to call the manager over, which I of course did. I did NOT know what her damage was until about 7:40 pm. Now to give perspective, she was glaring at around 3pm. We closed the store at 7:30 and the manager called me aside, like things were hunky dory at 7:40. He gave me a piece of paper which said “written notice”. It seems the woman who gave me the evil eye complained that I was being rude to her kids and that I was “throwing money at them”. The manager said it was ‘nothing major’ but wanted me to read this note and comment to it. Now I figure that something that has at the top: Verbal Notice, Written Notice, and FINAL Notice is in fact a big hairy deal. There was space for me to respond; and all I could say was that the guardian did NOT approach or complain to ME. I had a long line and was trying to ring people up in a speedy manner. Had she talked to me, I would’ve apologized and slowed down to be nicer to the kids.
Again the piece of paper had the words: Verbal Notice, Written Notice, Final Notice… and it was marked Written notice… which to me means I’m skating on THIN ICE at the gift store.
That’s Major Badness Number 2

And to add a touch to this, when I talked to La because the Written Notice had two X’s next to written notice… and I wanted to ask her for her opinion on that. She told me a) that you get 1- verbal notice, which I did not get; 1- written notice, see above, 1- Final Notice and after that, you’re gone. Oh, and she pointed out that Kenny Boy hates me as much as I hate him. Thus with HER gone, the manager giving me a written notice and the other ass’t manager Lm most likely not in MY corner, I should hot foot it out of Dodge.
Major Badness 2.5

So yesterday I got a call from a bookstore chain. I had filled out an online application and they wanted to talk to me. I called him at my dinner break and another time during a 15 min break. I went from a high of I have a chance of getting the heck out of Dodge and going to a bookstore… When the manager at the book store mentioned that he’d only be able to offer me like a 1.75 an hour LESS then what I’m getting now. And did I mention that I don’t really get what I consider a LIVING WAGE now. I told him thank you but no thanks.
I was very depressed after this- I went from a high of I have a chance to get out of Dodge to… well I’m stuck in my dead end life. I talked to La, as I said about the note and told her I was depressed because of this chance of a job WITH A PAY CUT. I low balled the figure from 1.75 an hour to a dollar. This because I know for RETAIL, I’m paid pretty well. Again it’s a crud wage and IF I was working in a library I’d prolly be getting what my MANAGER gets… but I would like to think that I EARN/ DESERVE my salary. Well La suggested I take the pay cut because it’s better to HAVE A JOB then NOT. And again she thinks that with the written notice my days are numbered.
Major Badness 3

Needing someone, anyone to talk to… I ended up calling my brother last night, especially as my computer crapped out and I couldn’t post here… It was nearing midnight and I just was SUPER depressed. My brother tried to help- but didn’t really. I think HE got more out of the phone call then I did. For him it was a ‘bonding experience’ where his younger brother, depressed, called him for advice.
For ME- he uttered the same line that I’ve heard from my ‘rents one too many times. Only I have the power to change the situation. Being a NICE guy, I didn’t say Bull**** but I did tell him I didn’t believe that, because if it was UP TO ME I’d be in a library. He told me to take the pay cut, because while he understands I’d lose a bargaining chip( if I take a pay cut for THIS job it’s hard to ask for my CURRENT pay level for my next job); he agrees with La that it’s better to HAVE a job… and perhaps some breathing room then stay at the gift store.
Minor Badness 1

Oh and on the television front. I bought my television and an extended service plan from Target. I bought it from their website because NOBODY in the area had the television I wanted. They said they ‘sent’ my order… but I have yet to get it. Responding to my email, they said that I didn’t PHYSICALLY need to have the extended service plan card to sign up for the extended service plan. I had to send them A NEW EMAIL to explain TO THEM… that if they couldn’t send me a extended service plan card- how could I trust them to send me a TELEVISION.
They have now admitted that the service plan card is lost… So on Tuesday, I’m going to have to waste time canceling the television and getting my money back for the service plan. Again if they can’t deliver a simple card to the game store- how can I trust them with a television?
Major Badness 4

Oh and what I consider a minor bump… or a bit more then minor. A video store near me is hiring management. I got all suited up yesterday to apply and was told even though they have signs in the windows- I have to apply ONLINE. I really dislike applying online. I mean I know I got the potential interview with the bookstore online but I much prefer talking to people, esp. as I can get NOTHING about my chances for a job with it on line. Oh and part of the whole “only you can change your job situation..’ from my family; you can’t follow up online. So it’s a lot harder to get the foot in the door these days. Really I’m surprised that my bro gave me the same line as the ‘rents as it’s a lot harder these days to get contacts to follow things up. Or at least it is FOR ME.
Minor Badness 2

Oh and of course- this morning instead applying for the video store- I spent it writing this because I felt it was more important for my SAN check to get this stuff off my chest then apply for a job. I guess I also felt that way because I have to call my sister and wish her a happy b’day and I feel a need to lower my angst levels before talking to her.

Hopefully I’ll have better news some other time this century. Oh minor badness 3- I was thinking of contributing to one of the democrats because at this point in time I prefer one above all the rest- but with a potential pay cut in the wing( saying I’m willing to take a pay cut doesn’t MEAN I’ll get the job…) I don’t think I can. Heck I keep threatening to put crap on ebay and it looks like a good chance that I will HAVE to soon. I’ve just put it off because a) the last time I put a bunch of crap on- I sold about a 3rd and b) there is the whole managing my time and wanting to have down time on days off or wanting to job search or clean my apartment…
Bleh.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home