Another rant about my dad

Before I gripe about my latest dealings with my dad… which I think I am, I first want to mention how I found it sad that I was talking to my mom a few weeks ago and she told me that I deal with my dad better then my older brother. I found this an odd tidbit of information because I can think of few things that would make me think WORSE of my dad… But perhaps that’s why I get along ‘better’ with my dad- because at a certain point in my life I realized he was full of crap.
Anyway in our latest ‘argument’ and I put it like that because he said:
The last thing I want to do is "argue" with you about anything including politics.
Now to back up a bit… I was the one who started discussing politics, because I forget that I am wayyy more liberal then he is. He is an ‘upper middle class’ liberal… where as I’m a working class bleeding heart. Which is to say he is much more likely to see ‘management’s’/ the fat cat’s view. He will still vote democrat but he doesn’t mind the tax break- because HE’LL use some of his tax break for the poor.
So this started because I emailed him to talk about thanksgiving plans on Saturday and then I asked him to talk to his senator, Schumer, about NOT voting for Mukasey for Attorney General. Now I did this because a) I spoke to both of my brothers on Saturday and they both agreed to talk to THEIR senator- Feinstein, who like Schumer said on Friday said she planed to vote for Mukasey. Both of my brothers agreed to do this- my younger brother on simple principle that his older bro asked him to do him a favor; my older because we both agreed that the U.S. should NOT stand for torture. My father however lectured me on ‘compromise’ and came up with a story that I later heard was coming out of Schumer’s office- namely if we don’t confirm this loser either Bush will recess appoint him( as W. is fond of doing) or he’ll recess appoint someone WORSE- which I find hard to believe.
I think I also earned my father’s ire- not just on my unwillingness to compromise but because he asked me if Hillary got the nomination, would I work on her campaign? I responded that if Hillary won the democrat nomination, I’d work hard on moving to Canada.
I don’t think my father liked either of my views- that the democrats should stand up to W. or that Hillary is NOT a good choice.
I suppose I should also add that a part of me feels that I was able to make my points better because I know I sent him a clip of a democrat agreeing with me that a line has to be drawn.
And now that I look more at his letter I realize that while he said he didn’t want to argue with me- he none the less tries to lecture me on HIS pov( this is said AFTER the above line about not argueing with me)-
But please remember that politics is also about compromise.
Everyone has a different point of view influenced by their experience and their personality.
You are entitled to your point of view and you can certainly move to Canada if that's what you wish to do.
Other people, including me, feel differently and we should respect each other's views.
I feel that there is too much anger in politics today.
That's why I want to be a "progressive" and look forward not back.
I'm happy to talk politics but I really don't want to argue about it.
See I feel that what he just said doesn’t really respect my pov so much as tells me why he thinks I’m wrong… but he doesn’t want hear MY side because it’s negative/angry.
Here’s the thing. I think a) if you talk compromise you should get something for your compromise. The democrats got NOTHING for voting for Mukasey- save reinforcing W.’s world view that if he sticks to his guns he gets his way. 2) There are certain things you do NOT compromise. And I think torture is one.
Or to put it another way- Yeah I can understand the Winston Churchill being tired at the end of WW II and agreeing that since Russia lost soo many people to the Nazis that Stalin could have Poland… but how do you think the Polish people felt about that compromise?
So I’m not arguing with my dad about this anymore because HE doesn’t want to argue and I don’t want to be lectured by him about how short sighted I am.
And I think I plan to NOT see him for thanksgiving because if I do- I’ll spend at least as much time kvetching about the time I spent with him as I will spend with him( i.e. if I see him for an hour, I’ll spend at least an hour picking apart how mean he was to me).
Actually before I end I want to laugh ironically at another tidbit he gave me during this weekend… I told him about the NaNoWriMo because a) he used to be a publisher and b) his wife is about to come out with a book. I feel a need to mention b- because it irks me that she’s getting published… as I’m sure that this had to do with his connections; esp. as even without reading hippybongstocking’s story- I’m sure she’s more talented. My father’s wife wrote a book I think because she wanted to be published and taken seriously then any actual artistic vision. I say that she doesn’t have artistic vision because a) when she first started writing she mentioned that she wasn’t going to have a lot of sex and violence in her book- and I was like, uh I don’t think Agatha Chrstie sells that well these days… Well after having her book REJECTED- in went the sex. Likewise when she was drunk at my brother’s wedding she pointed out, artiste that she is, that in her NEXT book she’s gonna name characters after people she doesn’t like AND have BAD THINGS happen to them.
Ugh.
So with this I thought it was ironic that my dad’s response to NaNoWriMO was:
Interesting web site. Although I wish more people were reading instead of writing so publishers could sell more books.
I was tempted to bait him by pointing out what if they said that to JK Rowlings? Sorry we don’t want to publish this ‘Potter’ because it’s going to be …7 books (raises eyebrow)… and we already have enough children’s series… Now if you changed this around abit and made Harry… mmh. GAY, yes that’s it Gay. We don’t have enough teen gay books… and that would sell very well for us.
OR of course point out that maybe there are better mysteries for HER publisher to print that maybe should be printed before HERS.
I refuse to publish here her name or her book’s name as I don’t want her to be able to track back to THIS blog… and I don’t think I want to give her free p.r.
BUT
Her name is the same as the actress who played Aunt May AND if you do an amazon search- my father’s current wife’s book is the first one to come up (and it has a name similar to a show on ABC- just to confirm that if you actually try to find it- you found it).
Again a warning… DO NOT POST HER NAME HERE. If you want to find a way to mention you found her book- do it WITHOUT mentioning her name or book. I don’t want any sort of track back.
Working on a post about torture… but really what it comes down to is I think my dad is on the wrong side of this- like the democrat senators- Schumer and Feinstein who voted for Mukasey.
Ok- I think that’s it for my rant about my dad and his woman for now.
Labels: Dad, Dad's CURRENT Wife


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home